• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
      July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #6059

Assignment

Complete the following discussion questions as you engage and participate in the community with others. Share your perspective and experiences in the eCourse forum. Be certain to read and comment on other student posts, and ask clarifying questions.

• How can ZeroDebt™ educational financing change student’s lives?
      • Share how you feel about ZeroDebt™ education.
    • KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
      July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #6119

How can ZeroDebt™ educational financing change student’s lives?
      ZeroDebt™ educational financing can change students’ lives by affording them the opportunity to gain world-class higher education without the burden of heavy student loan debt. Students can complete their education and move into their careers, all without acquiring the heavy debt that could negatively impact their net earnings for the rest of their lives.

• Dr. Shinshuri
        July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #6167

@KimAlyse:

Yes. It is true that ZeroDebt™ Education has a huge benefit to students as described in your post. Please share a couple of examples with explanation that clearly describe how you see ZeroDebt™ Education changing students. What are some relevant examples of the impact?

July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7104

Hello, Dr. Shinshuri.

You had asked how ZeroDebt™ Education can change students’ lives. The following example illustrates this wonderful program:

Kasha is a 26-year-old single mother of three young children. She has a high school diploma and one semester of college. During her first semester of college, she moved in with her boyfriend and became pregnant with her first child. After the birth of her child, she realized that her boyfriend’s income needed to be supplemented, so she took a job as a server at a local restaurant. She postponed continuing her education until her child would start pre-school. Within one year, she became pregnant again – this time with twins. She worked at her job as a server until her sixth month of pregnancy. Then, her doctor ordered her to rest and not work. Six months after the birth of her twins, her boyfriend disappeared, leaving her alone to raise her three small children.  Her parents helped with watching the children part-time, which gave her some freedom to go back to work at the restaurant, and she placed her children in day-care, part-time. Without a college education to facilitate getting a better paying position, Kasha knew she would not be able to provide for her children in a manner that she wanted. She desperately wanted to go back to college and earn her degree in business so she could develop and open her own business. She knew she had the drive to be an entrepreneur and she knew what services she wanted to provide to the community. However, she also knew that a college degree was not within her reach, because she would have to obtain student loans to fund her education, and was afraid that she would have more debt than she could handle. However, without that education, Kasha knew her life would not change.

Then, Kasha heard about a life-changing higher education program that is ZeroDebt™ Education. As she explored this, she realized that this may be the best option for her to earn a degree in business and create the future she desires for her family. Upon further exploration, Kasha discovered that the only college offering ZeroDebt™ Education is OT Academy. She decided to become a student, and majored in Business Philanthropy Leadership. During her two-year program, not only did Kasha earn her degree, she also built a viable business providing training programs for the hospitality industry. She now works in a business she loves, providing services that are much needed. She works when she chooses, and makes plenty of time to raise her family. Her life has changed; she no longer fears not being able to provide for her family. Life is good. 

July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #6134

Share how you feel about ZeroDebt™ education.
      If we are to impact the financial well-being of humanity (not just in the USA alone), I feel that ZeroDebt™ education must become our “new normal”. It must become the standard for financing education. A world-wide standard of ZeroDebt™ education will positively impact the world’s economy by affording that everyone who wants to avail themselves of quality higher education, in an effort to better their lives, can do so — all without the massive debt that is choking our world.

• Dr. Shinshuri
        July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #6168

Yes. Student loan debt is a huge problem in the U.S. and in many countries around the word. The last time I checked U.S. student loan debt was a whopping $1.33 trillion dollars at the end of 2014, according to the New York Times.

What is interesting is the fact that many schools are exploring ways to leverage technology to empower students and looking at alternative approaches to resolving the huge escalating cost of education.

There are several tuition-free examples such as UOPeople.edu located in Pasadena, CA. They are primarily funded through donations and grants which is not a self-sustainable option in terms of being a self generating revenue model.

I applaud their approach to delivering quality education, but they have not even thought about symbiosis as a way to give, serve, and receive a financial return, nor have they considered a franchised model. We are doing both of the later considerations I just described with OT Academy. There is still much work to be done. We are ahead, an exemplary leader, and innovating simultaneously.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Dr. Shinshuri.
    • July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7101

Zero debt can change a students life by offering an opportunity that may not have been an option without the zero debt benefits.  Zero debt allows someone with very limited funds to make an affordable choice (similar to as low as a tank of gas depending on the students current financial situation), to get an education.

The ability to have the opportunity to further an education is live changing because it can take someone in a completely different life path than he / she would have previously had. This could alter the future of others in their family as well to follow in their footsteps in furthering their education, which could lead to many more opportunities that would most likely not been available without the education.

July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7105

Hello, Monica.

Yes, ZeroDebt™ Education is transformative; it can change lives. You state that it can take someone on a completely different life-path than he or she would have taken previously. Can you give one or two specific examples of how a person’s life-path might be altered through ZeroDebt™ Education?

• July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7248

An example of how a person’s life could be altered, is that with ZeroDebt they have the choice/option to go to school. Without the ZeroDebt option he/she may have not chosen to go to school. This would have altered the future of that person’s life, such as not having better job opportunities which could translate to a house or better lifestyle for his/her family.

• Anita Johnson
            July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7408

This is true. Some great minds may decide not to go school, receive their education. We could be losing the next Steve Jobs, Martin Luther King Jr or any other great people.

• Anita Johnson
            July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7409

This is true. Some great minds may decide not to go school, receive their education. We could be losing the next Steve Jobs, Martin Luther King Jr or any other great people.

• July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7102

How I feel about Zero debt education is awesome. The opportunity for someone to leave school without debt is a relief for many that have other financial obligations.  I know so many students that paid thousands in education and struggle to get jobs in their field or end up taking other jobs, and throwing that education away, because they find they don’t get paid enough or don’t like the job. The problem with this is that the debt is still there. I have a cousin (through marriage) that went to a medical school to get a certificate for nursing assistant…I know she paid thousands, and initially worked part-time for a Dr.’s office, but now she serves at AppleBee’s because they won’t hire her full time and she makes more money with serving. Her hours are better with the Dr.’s office, but the money is not there.  So have Zero debt provides a guarantee that you will leave with knowledge, without the debt following for years.

July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7391

Thank you, Monica, for your examples. Yes, our ZeroDebt™ policy does change lives by allowing students to graduate without the heavy financial burden that plagues so many college graduates for far too many years.

• Anita Johnson
      July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7407

ZeroDebt policy changes lives of students by allowing them to get an education without having a student loan debt once they have completed their education. Most student leave college with a lot of student loan debt.  Having to begin your work life with so much debt can bring on stress and sometimes depression.

My personal note: My student loan debt is around $1,000 per month which could go towards mortgage or retirement. This can be somewhat stressful.

This ZeroDebt takes the burden away from the student.

July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7415

Hello, Anita.

I agree that our ZeroDebt™ policy is an excellent one. Yes, It does eliminate the burden of student loan debt, which can be extremely stressful.

Obviously, you know the stress of student loan debt on a personal level. You have a clear understanding of how student loans can impact a person’s financial state unnecessarily. You stated that you feel this impact, because your monthly student loan payments could be put to much better use to maximize your financial stability.

• Dr. Monique Benjamin
      July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7421

Zero Debt educational financing changes students lives by allowing students to earn their degree with as little out-of-pocket expenses as possible. I believe that Zero Debt educational financing is an excellent way to encourage more students to obtain a higher education because many students are concerned about the ability to afford college. Zero Debt education provides students with educational training that shows students how to navigate their finances during and after college. Zero Debt education provides information for Pell Grants, and work study, which allows students the ability to work and pay for college as they earn their degree. As an advocate for free education, I am very inline with the ideology of Zero Debt education that coaches and motivates students to pay for their education as they earn their degree.

July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #7424

Hello, Monique.

I agree with you that our policy of ZeroDebt™ education is a wonderful way to alleviate the concern that many individuals have about the affordability of higher education. For too many people, the thought of taking on student loan debt is not an option they wish to pursue. ZeroDebt™ education removes this obstacle from the equation of higher education. You mention being an advocate for free education. While we all realize that higher education is not free, our policy eliminates the stress caused by the debt that too many students suffer, all in pursuit of their greatness.

• Michele Dodson
      July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #14474

I know first hand how expensive college can be. My husband finished his masters in education about 5 years ago. Leaving us with over $30,000. in debt. It would have taken us years to pay that off. He was a public school teacher and we have 4 kids. So we did not have money to spare. In all honesty we were going backwards financially every single month. So made the hard decision to sell our home in order to pay off that student loan. It felt great to be out from under all the debt. However not everyone is able to do that.

• Michele Dodson
      July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #14475

[postquote quote=7421]
      I agree, having education in your finances is so important. If you are not able to manage small amounts of money you will not be able to manage large amounts of money either.

• Michele Dodson
      July 22, 2016 at 8:17 AM #14476

I feel that higher education without debt is crucial to our society right now. More people are going to college than ever before and racking up debt that will take decades to pay off. This amount of debt is not sustainable.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search