• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
      July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #6064

Assignment

Complete the following discussion questions as you engage and participate in the community with others. Share your perspective and experiences in the eCourse forum. Be certain to read and comment on other student posts, and ask clarifying questions.

• What other professional roles can you name that fit the definition of single-minded intelligence?
      • What is your opinion on the subject of single-minded intelligence? Share your likes and dislikes.
    • KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
      July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #6160

What other professional roles can you name that fit the definition of single-minded intelligence?
      One professional role that utilizes single-minded intelligence is that of the Math Teacher. She uses her intelligence in the field of mathematics to teach students the appropriate skills and information to be successful when using numbers. Another professional relying upon single-minded intelligence is the economist. The economist is a social scientist working in the discipline of economics. This individual may deal with one or more of the sub-fields of economics.

July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #6161

What is your opinion on the subject of single-minded intelligence? Share your likes and dislikes.
      My opinion of single-minded intelligence is that it can be considered a hindrance to true success. As humans, we all have multiple intelligences. Some of us develop many of our multiple intelligences, and utilize them to be very successful. For example, an educator at the college level (who has also taught at the pre-school and K-12 levels) writes books and programs for other educators to guide students. She also writes books and programs for students to become stellar students. While she is writing, she also begins to bring her intelligence in the area of leadership into her work and develops programs for business leaders.

Had this educator relied completely on a single-mined intelligence (for example, the discipline of communication), she never would have created the products for her business that would allow others to achieve success.

• July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #7382

Other professional roles that apply the single minded intelligence include teachers. Teachers have guidelines and and specific requirements to teach and focus their learning’s to specific guidelines.  Almost every role that people perform their jobs, such as pilots, truck drivers, bankers apply the single minded intelligence because they training and get skilled to be experts at their job.

• July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #7383

My opinion on the single minded intelligence is that there is good and bad to this. The good part is that people can be experts in their jobs and should be since most of them are doing their jobs for an average of 8 hours per day.The problem is that some people don’t expand their learning’s to more than whats’ outside their learning’s. So this single minded intelligence is good, but needs some open-minded to it.

July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #7461

Hello, Monica.

I agree with you that there are both good and bad aspects to single-minded intelligence.

You state that “…single-minded intelligence is good, but needs some open-minded to it.” So, that begs the questions: How can we inject open-mindedness into the picture? What can we do, specifically, to develop our multiple intelligences? On a personal level, what are your favorite ways to further develop your multiple intelligences?

• Anita Johnson
      July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #7419

Single-minded intelligence can be good and bad.

Bad:

The job market requires that we have a number of  skills, communication skills, (which include writing & speaking) leadership and/or many other talents. If you an accountant without communication skills you may not be able to move the next level in your career. I had to learn (still learning) to write an article, op ed and doctoral style).

Good: 

Taking the time to pursue one single field of education has it’s advantage. It someone chooses to just focus on field they become an expert in that field. They may choose to hire others to do perform services they are comfortable with.

My opinion is students should take the time to learn more than one skill or field of study. Example: Financial Psychology is two fields that I’m working towards.

July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #7425

Hello, Anita.

Yes, there are good points to single-minded intelligence, as well as not-so-good points. When experiencing a medical problem that requires surgery, I would want my surgeon to have the single-minded intelligence that allows her to specialize in the type of surgery that I must experience.

As a business person, however, I would want to combine several types of intelligence to bring the best services and solutions to my clients. For example, I use my expertise in writing to author programs and books to offer student success solutions to schools. Here I am using my Linguistic Intelligence, while also utilizing my Interpersonal Intelligence as I interface with the different schools.

• Dr. Monique Benjamin
      July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #7429

Single-Minded Intelligence is the ability to master a particular discipline or skill without expanding that development to other skills or disciplines. A lawyer can be seen as having single-minded intelligence because the assumption is that they are only familiar with one specific discipline of law, however, many lawyers cross many disciplines throughout their career. Lawyers are able to do real estate, criminal, or even contract law. Though this can be seen as a valid example of break from the norm, it is still within the framework of a Single-Minded Intelligence spectrum, as a lawyer’s main discipline is the study of law.

July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #7460

Hello, Monique.

You have a clear perspective of what single-minded intelligence is, and your example of a lawyer having single -minded intelligence, even though there are different specialties within the practice of law from which to choose, is accurate.

Are there any other professions that seem to utilize single-minded intelligence?

What is your perspective on single-minded intelligence? Are there positive and negative aspects to it?

• Keisha Austin
      July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #7710

I believe a bank teller has single minded intelligence for the simple fact that they are trained to count currency, help customers with their accounts and other needs regarding their finances. They are also able to move around and do other things but that will be their main focus.

pros:able to receive an education in a field of your choice and master the skills needed for employment or to create a business and supply for jobs for others in that field.

cons: you can apply for the position and have the education, but they inquire skills and other things a person may not possess. So its important you continue to further your career. I don’t like that at all. Some people may not be qualified just because they don’t have specific qualification but most of the time, its isn’t really needed.

July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #7719

Keisha,
      I am not quite certain that I am understanding your last paragraph on the cons of single-minded intelligence.

Would you please clarify this.

Thank you.

• Michele Dodson
      July 22, 2016 at 8:58 AM #14479

One profession  I believe to be single minded intelligence are medical doctors. As they learn more and more about the human body, they find out that they know less and less . Therefor medical doctors (MD) are becoming more specialized in either different parts of the body, like the heart or brain. Or in working with different diseases such as diabetes or cancer. Even within those two diseases there are specialties as well. Each becoming more focused as they go.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search