• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #4516

Share your perspective of the Oracle Learning Community (OLC) Portal.

• What do you like most?
      • What do you like the least?
    • Kimerli Sawyer
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #5605

For me, it is too early to know what I like most/least, as I have not had an opportunity to fully explore the portal or use it in real or live situations. I can say that it is a bit confusing for me to navigate at this point in time. I am not a “tech” type person, so I prefer a more user-friendly interface. I don’t know if that is because I’m still learning the portal or if it should be made more simplistic for those of us who are not so computer saavy.

• KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
        June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #5610

Hello, Kimerli.

Give yourself the opportunity to play on the portal. That is the best way to learn it. Do not be afraid of it. It is fairly simple to use. I have never really thought of myself as a tech savvy person, but I have managed to teach myself everything I need to know, as the need arises.
        Our portal is no different. Go at it with a sense of play and discovery. Ask questions when you get stuck. I am always willing to help. So is Tammé.

• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
        June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #5617

@Kimerli we are taking a unique approach to educational delivery on our platform. To KimAlyse’s point. It is designed to be a discovery-based learning platform. So we naturally reinforce and encourage self-sufficiency as a primary educational aim.

I know unequivocally from human behavior that students tend to take the path of least resistance in an attempt to get things done quicker such as copying, asking for help from others without first trying things out for themselves. There is nothing wrong with seeking out additional help and guidance, however we want students to be active not passive learners to mitigate complacency and mediocrity.

With more experience on the platform, things will become quite easy for you to find. We are here to support your success. Don’t be afraid to test and try things out. You just might find you intuitively already know where things are located. The challenge is getting out of our own way.

Dr. Shinshuri

• Candice Thomas
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #5964

After looking around the site, I have to say that I really like the ability to chat with students online. I also find that the navigation to get to the discussion is a lot easier now that I have done it a few times. The thing that I like least is just having so many different areas to navigate to. However, this gets easier with time. Knowing that I can have more than one page open at a time helps a lot when navigating from one screen to the next.

Candice

• Eugene Ceballos
        June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #6033

I agree with Candice Thomas, I also like the ability to be able to communicate with students online. I also like how the e modules and e classes are taught. It offers very beneficial information. Also, What I least like is also having to many areas to have to navigate in order to get to where you need to be. It can be confusing at times, but that is how technology is nowadays. Overall I have to say that it is a Great Online Platform.

• Keisha Austin
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #7606

I love the fact that the videos help us maneuver around the portal.. You can get to the forums anywhere.. That’s exciting because some people may not be computer literate.. I gives you easy instructions to explore the portal..

• KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
        June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #7607

Keisha,
        I am grad that you found the videos to be helpful. The fact is, the portal is fairly easy to navigate, once you know where to find what you need. You are correct in saying that many people are not computer literate. I used to be one of them. Then, I discovered that if you approach the computer with a sense of play, it is not that difficult to learn. Do not be afraid to explore and experiment. If the result is not what you wanted, delete and try again.

• June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #10380

I personally think that this interface is absolutely amazing! It gives you so much information and there are incredible features on this platform.

• June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #11326

I enjoy being able to navigate this website, however, I agree that it is a bit difficult to navigate. I recommend more drop down menus with the big tabs. Maybe it’s confusing only because I don’t know what everything is being used for, such as the Oracle TV etc. Other than that, it’s manageable and I know where to find the course materials I need.

• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #11335

Noelani:

Delighted to know you enjoy navigating and using the website. The platform was designed to make the experience flexible, immersive, interactive, and collaborative. This is a lot of great features available to make a information and content accessible to all. The site is designed and laid out to ensure the best possible experience and to be compliant with Federal laws to ensure the information is also accessible and available to those with physical, mental, visual, and aural disabilities as well. We have to comply with the America Disability Act (ADA).

There are web accessibility standard called WCAG 2.0 and Section 208 enforced by the Federal government to ensure compliance across all websites in the industry nationally  and internationally. You can read more about the compliance laws by visiting the web links below:

• Tracey Stone
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #11462

I love this platform, however it can be difficult to learn at first. I have found that the more I navigate and spend time on the website the easier it gets for me. I still have a lot to learn and I am looking forward to it.

Thank you for the experience

T.Stone

• Kelsey Hall
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #11535

This is my first day being on the website and i’m trying to figure it out. Hopefully with time and consistence I will be able to figure things out. I’m excited for the future.

Kelsey

• Linda Mockmore-Sawler
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #11538

Hi. I’ve been here at OLC for about a month and I’m learning how to do so many different things on the computer. It’s exciting for me because I never thought I would be able to learn and understand any of the information of what a computer does and connects to. The people that I’ve been working with are so great about helping me understand everything.

Linda

• Cristina Ledesma
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #11609

This is a great working experience being able to navigate and learn different things on this website. It will help me on finding better information before taking the eModule and eClass courses.

Cristina

• Dr. Shinshuri
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #14085

[postquote quote=11462]

Tracey:

It is a good idea to log in at least a few times per week to become more familiar with the platform. The more you log in and interact, the easier it will become. The key is interaction and collaboration because through these activities others will share and you are bound to learn from them and vice versa.

• Dr. Shinshuri
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #14086

[postquote quote=11609]

Cristina:

You are doing well on the platform. I have seen you working on your eModule and eClass. Make sure you take time to respond to other member’s posts too. It will give you a better sense of what is available and how to use the site to make it work for you as you grow your capability and skills in the areas around your career.

• Dr. Shinshuri
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #14087

[postquote quote=11538]

Linda:

You are an Oracle! Everyone here is focused on developing themselves personally and professionally. We are excited about learning, giving, and growing together. So, just keep on logging in and interacting, sharing, and collaborating and you are bound to learn and do more than you ever thought was possible. The possibilities are yours to seize and use.

• Dr. Shinshuri
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #14088

[postquote quote=11535]

Kelsey:

Now, that you found your way to the forums, let’s see how interactive, responsive, and creative you can be! Whoo Hoo! Let’s go, girl!

• Angela Santos
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #14113

Q1: What do you like the most?

Q2: What do you like the least?

A1 & A2: I definitely love how there are videos we can reference back to if we forget where something is or how to do something, although, it is too early for me to say for certain what I like or dislike about the OLC Portal. However, I look forward to setting up my profile to be a brief ambassador of who Angela Santos is. Also, through different assignments/exams, having to navigate/explore the portal to get them completed.

• Linda Mockmore-Sawler
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #14138

[postquote quote=14087]
      Sorry I should have said OTA instead of OLC. On the other hand I’m trying to find my way through all the different possibilities and programs or sites there are on the computer. Sometimes I think I got it and then It’s like okay how does it work again.

Thank you

Linda

• Linda Mockmore-Sawler
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #14139

[postquote quote=14113]
      Angela, yes I agree that the video’s are great to have. I have went back and watched them many times and each time I feel you learn something new. Keep working on that profile and you will become everything you want to be. The best thing I’ve found is there are plenty of people around to help when you really need it. We are all here to learn and nobody judges anyone, they just help.
      [postquote quote=14087]
      Sorry I should have said OTA instead of OLC. On the other hand I’m trying to find my way through all the different possibilities and programs or sites there are on the computer. Sometimes I think I got it and then It’s like okay how does it work again.

Thank you

Linda

• Myra Rodriguez
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #14949

What do you like most? The thing I like the most is being able to navigate through the eCourses on my own and I learn something new everyday. I like how the eCourse is broken down into two categories emodule and eclass. Also, being able to view archive videos if I miss a emodule or eclass because I am able to refer back to what I missed. OTA is a great academy because we all learn and grow together.

What do you like the least? Overall, I do not dislike anything from this platform.

• Rachael Vasquez
        June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #15034

Hello Myra,

I am with you on that and I also liked how it gave you a pretest to see what you know in the start of the emodule course. It helps you know how and what to retain as you are finishing the remainder of the course.

• Guadalupe Rodriguez
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #14952
      1. What do you like the most? The aspect I like the most is searching through ECourses on my own and writing notes on my own. I like how ECourses are organized with different parts to it, and mark complete. A certificate is printed once everything is completed. Also, Dr. Shinshuri did a great job on teaching my first set of ECourses. Join.me records the class sessions missed for that week. OTA is an essential learning environment for students to learn about zero-debt education.
      2. What do you like the least? Overall, the eCourses have nothing negative. One aspect to change in the near future is provide a job aid for future students to learn to navigate a ECourse.
      • Rachael Vasquez
        June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #15035

Hello Guadalupe,

I like that you took your own notes and i just want to say it is very important to take notes not only so you have something to look back at if you are unsure about a question but it also help you retain information as you write it down . Great work

• Rachael Vasquez
      June 7, 2016 at 9:32 PM #15033

What do I like the most ?

What I like most about the OLC portal is how I am able to reach out to faculty on a one on one chat if I need assistance . I also like how were able to have group conversations with fellow classmates and others who have a insight on the subjects we will be reviewing or working on.

What do I like the least ?

What I like the least well I really don’t have anything I dislike at this moment due to me being a new comer but I am sure that later on down the road I may run in to something but as for now there’s nothing I can think of.

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search