Lesson 4.2: FlexLearn Keys

Home Forums SO101EM Exemplary Student Academics Lesson 4.2: FlexLearn Keys

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed. 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

OT Academy
    Keymaster

Assignment

Complete two (2) of the following discussion questions as you engage and participate in the community with others. Share your perspective and experiences in the eCourse forum. Be certain to read and comment on other student posts, and ask clarifying questions.

• What is flexible education to you?
    • How can you use flexible learning to manage your learning?
    • Express some of the benefits you see in co-creating flexible learning experiences.
    • How will you use the FlexLearn™ model to co-create immersive social learning experience for yourself and others?
  • Author
    Replies

Kueleza Vega
    Participant

A flexible education allows a student to learn in multiple ways and in times convenient to the student.
    I can use flexible learning by completing my education in a timely fashion.

Hello, Kueleza.

Yes, you have very concisely expressed your perception of flexible education. Can you expand upon this by giving some examples to support your statement?

Latasha Armstrong
      Participant

Mr. Vega, to add to your comment. I would also say that we have a team of people that we can leverage from. Sometimes people do not understand what’s available to them.

Hello, Latasha.

You are all too correct when you state that sometimes people do not know what is available to them. Many times, students do not understand that education, though very personal, does not occur in a vacuum. Education is truly a team activity, and we must realize who is on our team and work collaboratively with them, in order to successfully achieve our goals. This is true not only in higher education, but in life as well. In higher education, students can reach out to faculty and administration as resources. Students also have each other as resources, as everyone brings their unique talents and perspectives with them. Faculty reach out and collaborate with other faculty, administrators, and students to create immersive educational experiences that allow us all to know success. Beyond education, in business and professional life, reach out to co-workers and community resources to create success.

The point is, as you so correctly stated, we must realize that the people in our environment can be wonderful resources for collaboration. Success occurs when we work with our teams.

Dr. Shinshuri
      Keymaster

Kueleza:

Flexible is more than just about you as an individual. It is about the whole experience of learning, which can be done alone or with others. An important point about learning is that even when it is done individually you must depend on others.

For example, some individual learners like or want to learn in isolation or alone, but that wouldn’t be possible if other people did not write books, blogs, or produce courses like this one, introduce new subject matter content and learning aids to support individual learning.

So, while you may have an inclination to learn alone or autonomously, you must depend on the works of others to be able to work in isolate or alone. The very nature of autonomous learn is flexible. It gives you the flexibility to learn from multiple perspectives and use multiple types of approaches to experience learning. No matter how you spin it flexible learning is integral to life. formal and informal.

Latasha Armstrong
    Participant

1. Flexible learning to me is to know that if I do not understand something then there’s other resources available to me to ensure that I am successful. Flexible learning is to know that there is no room for failure if you truly apply yourself.

2. Some of the benefits that I see in co-creating flexible learning experience is to know that its a safe environment to test a theory. If my theory is proven not to be efficient then I can work with classmates to collaborate with them to get their perspective. But I would say that almost everyone learns from trials and errors.

Hello, Latasha.

I like your point that almost everyone learns through “trial and error”. I believe this to be true. What we are suggesting here, then, is that the process of learning is truly a grand experiment. Experimenting holds within it the willingness to take a risk — nothing ventured, nothing gained, Therefore, in order for learning to occur, the learner must be willing to take that risk. Taking a risk involves work. Through risk, comes the reward of learning.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.