• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
      June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #4674

Note: Reinforce the Guiding Principles as you complete the collaboration and sharing scenario.

• What does interactive, collaborative, immersive and engaging learning experience look or feel like? Share your experiences and perspective
      • How do you plan to co-create and stimulate collaborative learning for others? Share your experiences and perspective
    • KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
      June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #4800

• An interactive, collaborative, immersive, and engaging learning experience is one in which all participants (faculty, students, administrators, employers), feel successful. They feel as if they are learning, growing, and accomplishing. This is created by administrators who write eCourses that provide for this totally immersive, collaborative environment. It is further brought forth by facilitators who understand that we must all have the collaborative energy to create an engaging learning experience. Not only do the faculty members encourage students to participate, faculty jump right into the experience and participate with the students. In this way, faculty drive the discussions and foster success. Over my years in higher education, I have often provided my students with collaborative assignments. It has been my experience that those teams of students who realized the value of collaborating, and sought out my input into their collaboration, were the students who gained the most from the collaborations, and, ultimately, achieved the most success.

• My plan for co-creating and encouraging collaborative learning for my students is very simple. I will use the team projects written for my eCourses, and have discussions with each team, to be certain they understand their assigned project. I will remind them that I am available, on an ongoing basis, to assist and encourage them in any way. In my live eClass sessions, I will provide opportunity for collaboration through questions posted to the eCourse Forum, and have students return to the live session to discuss their ideas. Lively discussion always leads to immersive learning experiences.

• Eugene Ceballos
        June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #4802

Thats Great Mrs. Popkave!!

• Eugene Ceballos
      June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #4801

I plan on having the students interact or interview certain individuals who are involved in public service around their city. For example Mayors, council members, board of directors etc…I will then have them come into the OLC portal where they will have to report and share their experience with their peers. They will have to respond to at least two of their peers.

June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #4803

Hello, Eugene. You have an interesting idea, to have students interview community leaders. On what topics will you have them do these interviews? How will you integrate and relate this type of assignment into the content of the eCourses you will facilitate? I would love to discuss this further with you.

• Kimerli Sawyer
        June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #5597

Hi Eugene,
        Interviews are always a great way to stimulate conversation in class. How do you handle those students who are uncomfortable conducting such interviews? (I used to be one of those students, that’s why I ask).

• Phillip Seibel
      June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #5316

The main thing that I think is necessary for an engaging learning environment online is for the information that people care about to be readily available. I finished my BA in English through an online school and they had an exceptionally well-structured portal to help me access the information that was most important to me. I could readily see new discussion post, assignment due dates, and other relevant items right away, helping me to jump right in without having to click through several nested menus.

• Kimerli Sawyer
        June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #5598

Great point, Phillip. I think the online classroom has to be very “user-friendly”, otherwise students become frustrated and the interest is lost. If it takes more than 1 click to find, they are gone! LOL

• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
        June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #5616

Yes. We intend to add more features to make the portal easy to navigate, use, and learn. We certainly don’t want students to be gone! LOL! We also want to know more about student’s overall learning experience on the portal and welcome all suggestions, feedback, and comments. So please do be encourage to let us know what we are doing well and what we can do to make improvements.

Dr. Shinshuri

• Kimerli Sawyer
      June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #5596

An interactive, collaborative, immersive and engaging learning experience should look and feel like perfect synergy. It should be fun, so that everyone actually WANTS to participate and continue to learn. Everyone involved should feel comfortable in exchanging information. Everyone is learning while also imparting their own knowledge, all while enjoying the dialogue. Everyone feels compelled to participate because the topic is exciting and the energy of the discussion is both inviting and non-threatening.

I plan to create a collaborative learning environment by maintaining my approachable demeanor and continuously explaining and demonstrating that we are all learning, together. I believe that faculty is simply there to help deliver curriculum in a way that the student gets the most benefit, not to “lecture”. That being said, I hope to find creative, innovative and fun ways to deliver the curriculum. Since I have not seen the curriculum, I am not able to give specific examples as to how I plan to make this happen. But, I WILL!

• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
        June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #5615

Bravo! Kimerli. I love the fact that you do not intend to only lecture. I know you will do well using the portal. Besides, using lectures as the primary facilitation method can be boring, dull, and quite frankly trite.

I really enjoy discovery based learning where students are immersed in the experience and allowed to explore, test, try, course correct, and test some more. Real hands on learning is what I seek most. Some call it learning by doing. I call it self perseverance and autonomous learning. I enjoy trying things out on my own, researching, and exploring.

I prefer for students to attempt to try things for themselves, test, and research to figure things out before consulting me. I ask probing questions before coaching and mentoring students to ensure I don’t rob them of the richness and reward of figuring things out for themselves. Also, it makes them less passive learners or vicarious learners.

Dr. Shinshuri

• Candice Thomas
      June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #5972

Hi Everyone,

To me, interactive, collaborative, immersive and engaging learning experiences does not feel like you are being lectured. I have sat through classes where the instructor literally just read a text book to her students for 4 hours. Not even kidding! I want my learning experience to be fun! This means that students actually want to learn, and look forward to coming to class. I would ask open-ended questions to promote student participation and prevent the class from feeling like a boring lecture. Bringing in visuals, and having students share their own experiences is also important. One thing that I know works with students of all ages is to relate the material to something that your students know and enjoy. This means getting to know who your students are as individuals, while also allowing them to get to know you. Doing so helps to break the ice, and provide a learning environment that is fun and inviting.

I am also a “hands-on” person. Having students try things on their own is the best learning experience you can give them. They are able to learn from their mistakes, which helps them progress to the next level.

Sincerely,

Candice

• June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #6906

Collaborative, immersive, engaging experience to me is when a group can really dig in an and each participate collaboratively as group.  A good example that I experienced is when I bought my franchise coffee shop. My boyfriend/partner and I went to a two week academy/boot camp and during the time we learned a lot about training our staff to incorporate the franchises selling model.  In the last few days of training we were tasked to create a 5 minute skit with a group of 4 (who we just just met) and role play all these parts. It made us think about everything, involving discussions when we did not all agree and come up with a group agreed skit that we all participated together (all had our parts).

How I plan to co-create and stimulate collaborative learning is by ensuring that everyone is engaged and provide them examples of how they should be working as a group. Such as creating private groups, meet and get input and agree on solutions.

June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #6930

Hello, Monica.

Great example. It seems to me that you have an understanding of creating a collaborative  learning environment. Yes, as you stated, collaboration takes some work, because not all individuals in a group will agree on everything brought to the group. There truly is that give/take dynamic, to create the group’s success.

• Anita Johnson
      June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #6932

For me, collaboration, immersive, engaging experience is a team of people working together on a project.  When working with a group I often have them pair up where they can work together on projects.

I think the more people work together to bring better ideas, making better decisions. Each persons learn differently, where each person can bring visuals, audio and other aids that will bring a project on life.

June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #7195

Hello, Anita.

I agree that each person learns differently, so each can contribute to the collaboration in different ways.

What, of the Guiding Principles, can you include in this discussion? How will you utilize those Guiding Principles in creating an immersive, flexible, social, collaborative learning environment? What, specifically, will you do to create this type of learning experience for our students?

• Dr. Monique Benjamin
      June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #7378

The interactive, collaborative, and immersive learning environment requires active participation from both the student, as well as the professor. Each places a crucial role to effective communication which creates collaborative learning. Collaborative learning can be felt with collaboration tools such as Join.Me or Skype which can connect students and teachers in live video conferences. Through the live video conferences, students will interact with one another as well as the facilitator, to understand core course concepts and gather various perspectives when completing group projects.  In order to feel the connection in the ECourse, students will need to feel connected not only to other students, but the facilitator as well, who provides the necessary coaching to help the student prepare for their profession

June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #7388

Hello, Monique.

I agree with everything you have said here about active participation. It is vital to successful collaborative learning. My question to you is this:

What will you do, specifically, to facilitate a collaborative learning environment for others?

• June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #11332

Interactive, collaborative, immersive, and engaging learning experiences allow students and faculty to openly discuss differences of opinion, as well as similar ways of thinking. This requires different individuals to converse on a platform given. This feels accepting, not necessarily because of the ability to say your opinion, but to get different perspectives that you may have not thought of. Who knows, you may even change your mind about things.

I plan to participate and also be open enough to state my opinion without the fear of negative backlash. I plan to treat others with respect and receive others way of thinking.

• Linda Mockmore-Sawler
      June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #11601

I agree with what everyone else has been saying. Integrated engagement is a way to bring together small or large amount of people to put their heads together to come up with solutions to different projects and problems. Example is what’s currently being worked on across the world in medical teams to come up with an answer to the virus going on.

• Angela Santos
      June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #14109

Q1: What does interactive, collaborative, immersive and engaging learning experience look or feel like? Share your experiences and perspective.

A1: Interactive, collaborative, immersive and engaging learning experience does not look or feel like sitting at a desk or behind a computer being lectured for hours. However, it should look or feel like you getting to know you’re instructor and classmates, and vice versa.

Q2: How do you plan to co-create and stimulate collaborative learning for others? Share your experiences and perspective.

A2: Everyone is different in the way they learn, so finding what works best for them and applying it.

• Rachael Vasquez
      June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #15043

INTEGRATED ENGAGEMENT SCENARIO:

Well as for me so far interactive, collaborative, immersive & engaging learning experience when i took my first look at it I have to say i was overwhelmed only because this is new to me but as i took a deep breath and read threw everything and got assistance from myra when i needed help i did fine. It feels great to be able to interact with people give my opinion and also get feedback  from others working on the same questions or subjects. IT’s a big confidence booster i have to say and i am loving it. Even when you don’t really know how to answer something you can go in and see other people’s post a kind of get a sample on which way to go as you are answering the same questions in your own words.

• Myra Rodriguez
        June 13, 2016 at 2:33 PM #15045

Hello Rachael,

OTA immersive everyone to explore and tab in the unknown zone to acquire new knowledge. Also, at OTA we are a team that we all grow together as a company as while as ourselves.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search