• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #4666

Note: Access and review all policies listed in the Student Handbook or Faculty Handbook, when answering the scenario question.

• Jessica Beal’s academic performance the first four weeks of the eCourse was stellar. During weeks 5 and 6 you notice a significant drop in her attendance and participation. What would you do to help?
    • KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #4686

As faculty, I would ask to schedule an appointment to speak with Jessica. During our conversation, I would tell Jessica that I am concerned about her significant drop in participation and attendance, and ask her if she wished to share anything with me.

I would assure Jessica that everything she says will be held in strictest confidence. I would remind her that it is her responsibility to keep the lines of communication open.
      From there, we would address how we can get her back on track.

I would remind her of her previous stellar performance and of the attendance and participation policies, as stated in her Student Handbook. I would encourage her to come up with a plan of action to get back on track, and assure her that I will be more than willing to assist her to put her plan into action.

• Dr. Shinshuri
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #4690

I love your approach. It was beautifully stated. I would go a step further and reassure Jessica that she also can count on me to support her in staying on track and assist her in creating an action plan if she needs that assistance.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Dr. Shinshuri.
    • Kimerli Sawyer
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #5160

I would call the student to determine what barriers were preventing her from participating and see if there was a way that I could help her to complete the class by offering alternative ways to participate.

June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #5613

Yes, Kimerli. Calling the student to discuss you concerns and to determine the barriers that are preventing her continued participation at this time is a great start.

Being very supportive is key.

Also, you should ask the student for ideas on creating an action plan to get back on track. You certainly can offer some alternatives, and getting the student to control the action plan and commit to it will get her back on track.

• Kueleza Vega
        June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #6612

I completely agree with you.

• Phillip Seibel
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #5161

I would want to have a discussion with Jessica to try and identify what was causing the slip in performance. Once that has been done, I would work with her to make a plan to get her caught up and back to the performance she was enjoying previously. Perhaps some extra credit would be needed, or maybe getting her in touch with fellow students if she needs some extra help beyond what I can personally provide.

• Kimerli Sawyer
        June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #5608

I think the action plan is the key, Phillip. Finding out what caused the problem and then making an action plan for correction will definitely get the student back on track.

• Candice Thomas
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #5162

First, I would reach out to her to find out what is going on and if there is anything I can do to help her. I would also suggest strategies to help her stay on track depending on what the issue is. If it is something that she does not understand I would take the time to explain the instructions further, anything I can do to help. Possible make-up assignments or offering the opportunity to redo some assignments or submit late ones, if needed and depending on the situation.

June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #5614

Hello, Candice.

It sounds as if you are ready to be very supportive of our students!

Suggesting some strategies for her to get back on track is a great ides, and you should also get the student to suggest some ideas, as well — perhaps even before you make suggestions. If you get the student to suggest a plan of action, that may get her to commit to seeing it through to successful completion.

• Kueleza Vega
        June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #6611

That is very thoughtful and caring of you. I whole heartedly support your answer.

• Latasha Armstrong
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #6597

The individual would be responsible for $800 because it’s a 8 week course.

• Latasha Armstrong
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #6598

Correction, I would reach out to the individual to motivate and see how I can help

• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
        June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #6600

Hi LaTasha:

I like your intent to motivate. But, remember motivation is an innate quality. How about considering influence or support her in making a conscious change to get back on track.

Let’s chat more,
        Dr. Shinshuri

• Latasha Armstrong
          June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #6604

Hmmmm…

• Kueleza Vega
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #6599

I would reach out to Jessica to see what was going on with her and offer to help as much as I can.

• Latasha Armstrong
        June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #6602

That’s what I’m talking about. Exactly my thoughts just based off of whom I am.

• June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #6902

In response to Jessica’s change in academic performance during the 5th and 6th week, I would schedule a time to meet with Jessica so we can discuss the concern of her performance. I would work with her to help remove potential obstacles and offer assistance to support her with the guidance and tools she needs to increase her academic performance.

June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #7197

Hello, Monica.

It seems that you have a good plan to assist Jessica to get back on track. Always remind students that you are willing to assist them in any way you can, but only if they communicate with you.  You are not a mind reader, so you cannot offer assistance if you are not aware that there is a problem.

Getting the student involved in creating a plan to get back on track is important. If the student comes up with the plan, she is more likely to be successful. Just remind her that you are there to offer any support needed for her to succeed.

• Dr. Monique Benjamin
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #7335

In regards to Jessica Beal’s academic performance drastically changing at the end of the term, I would address the issue by addressing what the cause of the interference is. The interference that may come may not be related to academia, so I would have to be careful not the impose my opinion unto what may be a complicated situation, but simply ask how I can help or be a more present guide to make sure she completes the course satisfactorily.
      If after a brief meeting with Jessica I can tell it may not be something that can be resolved within the current academic quarter, I would ask for the assistance of the administration to help with effective methods and tools to make sure Jessica successfully completes the academic quarter. Once I have contacted administration about the issue, I would leave it in the hands of the administration to develop an academic plan that may best suit Jessica’s needs that may be interfering with her ability to maintain as a proficient student. Together, with Jessica and the assistance from the administration, I believe we can develop an academic plan that can help Jessica through the completion of her degree program.

June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #7338

Hello, Monique.

I agree that you should handle this situation very tactfully, and not impose your opinions, because it could cause unnecessary stress, in what could be a stressful situation.

Seeking support for the student from administration may be an option, but, if I were you, I would first ask Jessica if you may share with administration what she has confided in you. Also, before bringing administration into the discussion, it may be a good idea to have Jessica come up with an action plan for getting back on track. Let her know that you will support her efforts in any way that you can. In most situations, when given the support to create their own plans of action, students are more likely to succeed in sticking to the plan and successfully completing  the eCourse, the academic quarter, the program…

Of course, the administration is always an option if more support is needed.

• June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #11330

How do you infuse collaboration and sharing into every learning experience?

Allowing a difference of opinion takes a huge part in people’s learning experience. Also, how respectful the reactions are from the difference of opinion. For example, if I say an opinion of mine, I’d hope to not have anything negative said about my way of thinking to insult my intelligence.

• Linda Mockmore-Sawler
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #11602

I’m not sure what the question is this time. From reading all the replies, I think it’s  about how you can help someone who is having trouble with keeping up  or getting back in the groove to continue her work and keep her grades up to finish the program. There are many reasons why someone can get off track. Getting them comfortable enough to talk about what is bothering them is the first step to getting back on track. Once they open up, then you can get the person to come up with ways to solve his or her own problems with the help of suggestions from me or who ever might be able to help(counselors, organizations, etc.) to get them back on track. Sometimes I have tried to help people by giving my opinion of what I would do in their situation and it doesn’t always work sometimes it can backfire. So I have learned to listen (before I say anything) because it may only take letting them hear  themselves talk out loud to help come up with a solution or realize it’s not that big of a problem after all and they can put it behind them and get back to what’s more important.

• Kelsey Hall
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #11607

Students should always feel free to be able to come to the instructor and discuss any problems that they are having. In the same breath students should also be responsible enough to know that if they are having any types of problems, rather it be personal or school related then they should reach out to their instructor to see what can be done to fix the problem.

It is always important to communicate with others. Having the key of communication will help you to be able to go further in your educational growth.

• Angela Santos
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14105

Q1: Jessica Beal’s academic performance the first four weeks of the eCourse was stellar. During weeks 5 and 6 you notice a significant drop in her attendance and participation. What would you do to help?

A1: Upon noticing Jessica Beal’s academic performance dropping significantly, I would reach out to her and attempt to assist her course correct by gathering an understanding of what is going on in her life that would cause such a shift, seeing if she wanted to take some time off, and or encouraging her to remember life is going to happen, however, pushing pass her obstacles and reaching her goal will be worth all the hardships.

• Gerardo Espinoza-Lopez
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14164

As one of Jessica’s classmates, I would call her if we were working on a group project and see what’s up. If she’s unable to finish her part, then so be it; I will pick up the slack.

• Tanthalas Hermance
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14165

As a faculty, I would contact her system navigator and have him talk to her. Maybe she needs some WPC help and resources.

• Arisabeth Simphoukham
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14874

If I noticed Jessica’s performance began to drop significantly during week 5 and 6 when she was having a stellar performance in the first 4 weeks, I would reach out to Jessica and have a discussion. There was be many factors or possibilities as in to why her performance had significantly dropped. I will first try to understand the situation and what is really going and see if there is anything I can do, or something I can work out with Jessica that will allow her to continue to eCourse with having the best chances to do well and succeed. Another factor that may be why her performance dropped is because she for whatever reason is longer interested or motivated to complete the eCourse. Depending on what the reasons are I would try to help find a solution and try to be as flexible as possible.

• Guadalupe Rodriguez
        June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14908

Hello Arisabeth,

It demonstrates to me that you are an exemplary leader willing to help your classmates. Unconditional love is what provides a better foundation for encouraging others to stay in an eCourse. Positive psychology is everywhere at OTA.

• Arisabeth Simphoukham
          June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14925

Hi Guadalupe,

Thank you for that comment. I definitely also believe the positive psychology and love is a powerful tool when it comes to helping those who are struggling. Something as simple as “Hey, keep it up” or “You’ve got this!” can help a person find the strength within themselves to continue on their journey.

• Myra Rodriguez
        June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14922

Hello Arisabeth,

A great strategy to motivate an individual is using positive psychology. This will be a great strategy for Jessica to use in her college journey. I attached a link for positive psychology with students https://www.ucf.edu/news/positive-psychology-with-students/.

• Arisabeth Simphoukham
          June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14926

Hi Myra,

Thank you for that link to more information on positive psychology. I definitely will check that out.

• Myra Rodriguez
            June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14929

You’re welcome.

• Guadalupe Rodriguez
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14907

1. Jessica Beal’s academic performance the first four weeks of the eCourse was stellar. During weeks 5 and 6 you notice a significant drop in her attendance and participation. What would you do to help?

If it was noticed by me Jessica’s performance began to drop during week 5 and 6 when she was having a stellar performance in the first 4 weeks, I reach out to the program coordinator and Jessica personally to have a discussion on what is going on. There are personal or others factor contributing to why her attendance and participation dropped significantly. I will try to hear her situation along with the program coordinator to comprehend what is occurring in her personal life. The program coordinator work out something for Jessica Beal to continue in the eCourse to improve her attendance and participation. Another reason, Jessica Beal wants to drop out of the program because she is no longer interested in participating. I would help Jessica Beal for any type of circumstance to help her continue in the program.

• Arisabeth Simphoukham
        June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14927

Hi Guadalupe,

I like your approach to this situation. It’s also best to find out the reason the person’s performance is declining and then figure out the best solution from there.

• Myra Rodriguez
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14919

1. Jessica Beal’s academic performance the first four weeks of the eCourse was stellar. During weeks 5 and 6 you notice a significant drop in her attendance and participation. What would you do to help? First of all, I would reach out to communicate with Jessica and listen to what’s going on in her life. I will let Jessica know that I’m here to support her and provide a evidence based strategy to improve her situation. The evidence based strategy will help Jessica to focus in her academic and behavioral engagement. Also, providing Jessica with all the resources she may need and refer her back to the student handbook.

• Guadalupe Rodriguez
        June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14931

Hello Myra,

An exemplary leader comes up with a good solution to help others with positive psychology.

• Christian Wissenback
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #14967

Jessica Beal’s academic performance the first four weeks of the eCourse was stellar. During the weeks 5 and 6 you notice a significant drop in her attendance and participation. What would you do to help?

I would make an effort to reach out to Jessica and try to figure out if there is a problem happening and what measures we can take to mitigate the issues at hand. I would try to communicate that I am here to listen and that anything said to me is held in the strictest confidence. there could be many different things happening in this woman’s life, she could also be loosing interest in the subject she is studying. She may also just need some reassurance or guidance in some area of her life.

• Rachael Vasquez
      June 13, 2016 at 2:20 PM #15040

Instructional Policy Scenario : every student is assigned a academic advisor and as an academic advisor I would contact the student if i seen that they have been missing school and if there grades are dropping significantly. When contacting the student i would see if there current plan was not working out for them then try to figure out a better one or possible offer other services if needed.

Viewing 21 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search