• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
      July 22, 2016 at 9:38 AM #6079

Assignment

Complete the following discussion questions as you engage and participate in the community with others. Share your perspective and experiences in the eCourse forum. Be certain to read and comment on other student posts, and ask clarifying questions. Read the example team scenario, then respond to one of the questions.

Scenario

Karen has been diverting her assignment responsibility for the past four weeks. She has missed critical team meetings and has not posted to the team forum in the past two weeks. Two team members Sabrina and Joseph contact Karen via email on two different days, and she responded back that she had been out of town on vacation. The team leader José reaches out to Karen regarding getting her portion of the assignment as well because the team assignment is due next week. Karen responds back to José stating that she is sick and is currently in the hospital.

After receiving her correspondence, José calls a mandatory team meeting to draft a Conflict Resolution Template and invites everyone to attend. Everyone but Karen shows up for the meeting. The team votes to complete Karen’s portion of the assignment and decides to submit the assignment without including Karen’s name on the completed team assignment cover page.

The team leader submits the completed team assignment along with the Conflict Resolution Template citing the issues the team had with Karen and negligence of her responsibilities and duties as a team member the day the assignment is due. He also posts both documents to the team forum. For the final grade, Karen did not receive an individual grade on the team assignment.

• KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
      July 22, 2016 at 9:38 AM #6279

Do you agree or disagree with how the team handled the situation? Explain in detail why or why not? (250 words)

I both agree and disagree with the way the team handled the situation. I agree that the team gave Karen every chance to participate, and when she chose not to be truthful in communicating with Sabrina, Joseph, and José, by giving them differing stories, the team was correct in deciding to complete her portion of the project themselves. The team could not allow the failings of one team member to impact the results of the project. The project must be completed and delivered on schedule.

My disagreement lies in the fact that, because of Karen’s “disappearance” from the team without completing any of the work, the Team leader, José, should have notified the instructor as to the situation, prior to submission of the project. My concern is that, while Karen did not get an individual grade for the project, did she still get a team grade, which she clearly did not earn.

July 22, 2016 at 9:38 AM #6280

How would you have handled the situation had you been the team leader? (250 words)

As team leader, I would have reached out to Karen much earlier. The scenario states that Karen had diverted her responsibility to complete her portion of the assignment for four weeks. As team leader, I would have contacted Karen after the first week, to see what support she needed to complete her work. I would have kept in close touch with her, to be certain she was on track and if she needed any further support. At that point, if I was unsuccessful in making contact or in getting cooperation from Karen, I would have called a mandatory team meeting then – only two weeks into the project. In other words, I feel José waited too long to address the situation. Once we had a team meeting and completed an Issue Resolution Plan, in addition to posting it in the team forum, I would have contacted the eCourse faculty at that time, and explained the issue and the team’s decision. That way, the facilitator would be well-aware of the situation. Also, perhaps the facilitator had been contacted by Karen or Karen’s family about any issues preventing her from project and eCourse completion. The way I see it, the eCourse faculty is an advising member of every project team, a guide on the side, to support the efforts of each team.

• Dr. Monique Benjamin
      July 22, 2016 at 9:38 AM #7443

I think the group handled the situation well, but could have adjusted the approach. I think the group attempted to reach out to Karen on three different occasions. Two team members reached out to Karen on different occasions, via email, and the Team Leader Jose reached out as well to discus Karen’s portion of the assignment as well. This was the appropriate measure to reaching out to Karen as a form of Team Intervention. A number of members reached out to Karen to check on her, to which she replied, “she was on vacation,” and also, “hospitalized.” The group reaching out on various occasions was good, but the end result, of excluding Karen, could have been handled a little differently. The group could have found another way to include Karen in the project, via video conference, or offering her a portion of the project that was acceptable, given her conditions. I think the group may need to contact the Professor, prior to excluding Karen from the group, to see what accommodations could be made, so that Karen may get a chance to receive credit for the assignment.

July 22, 2016 at 9:38 AM #7449

Hello, Monique.

I think that part of the problem is that the team did not create a Team Charter, or at least did not follow it closely. Karen deferred starting her assignments for four weeks and was not attending group meetings. Yes, team members contacted Karen, after three weeks,  and received different stories. When the team leader contacted her, she gave him the story that she was sick and in the hospital.

What Karen should have done, had she been interested in completing her assignments in a timely fashion, is she should have kept in touch with the group leader, and arranged to meet virtually.

She did not do that.

The team leader held mandatory team meeting to fill out the Conflict Resolution Template to submit with the assignment. Everyone on the team, with the exception of Karen, attended this meeting. The team leader handled this situation according to the Team Charter, and was well within the parameters of the Team Charter and the Conflict Resolution to exclude Karen’s name from the project.

Let me ask you this, Monique: In you doctoral work, when you had opportunity to work on team assignments, did all members of the team do their fair share of the work? Did anyone shirk their assignments? If so, was it fair if they received a grade based upon the good work that everyone else in the team did? Or, would it have been fair for everyone else on the team to have earned a reduced grade, simply because one person di not submit his or her portion of the project? What are your thoughts here?

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search