• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #4671

Note: Access and review all policies listed in the Student Handbook or Faculty Handbook, when answering the scenario question.

• Boston Cellars filed a grievance with Academic Affairs citing discriminatory comments about his sexuality, which was shared among you and other faculty members in a private group chat. How would you respond to his claim?
    • KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #4695

I would respond by saying to the grievance committee that it was not my intent to be discriminatory in any way. I would formally apologize to Boston Cellars, if anything I may have said was interpreted in such a way that it caused him any pain.

• Dr. Shinshuri
        June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #4696

Excellent! It is always authentic to acknowledge a person’s pain and own your part in the experience even when their was no malicious intent. Thank you for your response.

June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #4697

You are most welcome.

• Phillip Seibel
        June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #5168

This is a tough one for me personally, because I have been on the receiving end of these complaints when the policy was that the offender’s intent has no bearing on whether or not discrimination has occurred. My first step would be to discuss the issue privately with the grievant, if possible, to try and resolve things at that level. If that is not possible, I would apologize and try to come up with a mutually satisfactory solution.

• Kueleza Vega
        June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #6618

From Boston’s perception you may have been discriminatory but from yours you may not have been. If it were me I wouldn’t feel that as grounds for an apology if I wasn’t being discriminatory in any way. To apologize would be to admit that you were in fact guilty of discrimination. Whether or not I should apologize any way is a different story.

• Candice Thomas
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #5166

I would apologize and explain that it was not my intention to make him feel like he was discriminated against in any way.

• Kimerli Sawyer
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #5167

After attempting to remedy the situation with the student to assure them that there was no intentional discrimination, I would let them know they have the right to file a formal grievance and immediately notify the appropriate persons (grievance committee)

• Kueleza Vega
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #6617

I would apologize for the discrimination and try to help remedy the situation.

June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #6631

Kueleza, how, specifically, could you help remedy this situation? What could you do?

• June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #6901

In response to this grievance, I would acknowledge receipt of this complaint and apologize for this behavior. I would also let Boston Cellars know that I would be looking into this further and ensure that our organization was not being discriminatory.

June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #7385

Hello, Monica.

Your response is appropriate as a member of the grievance committee, upon receiving  information pertaining to this situation. Yes, of course, you would acknowledge receipt of the complaint and apologize, and you would assure Boston that your organization was not intentionally being discriminatory .

However, if you were, as the scenario states, involved in the chat in which discriminatory remarks were made, how would you handle the situation? What could you do, from a personal perspective, rather than from an administrator role, to try to appease the situation?

• Dr. Monique Benjamin
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #7353

I would first and foremost, apologize for my continued participation in the group chat, after personally recognizing the discriminatory acts (words) that were written. Secondly, I would apologize personally to the person discriminated against, because as colleagues, we should work to protect each other from any level of discrimination, especially in a professional setting. I would actively participate in any necessary meetings or seminars educating facility about the importance of faculty cohesion and the affect of our role as professors to be positive examples.

June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #7386

Hello, Monique.

Yes, taking ownership of your part of the offending issue, and authentically apologizing to the offended party for your part, however brief, is always best. Striving to educate faculty on professionalism and on cohesion is an excellent idea. Perhaps, we should discuss this idea further, to collaborate on developing a training for our faculty. If you are willing to collaborate on this, please let me know.

• June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #11329

First, I would apologize for my part in the matter to Boston Cellars and say what my pure intentions are of that matter, if there were any. I would also apologize for how I made them feel because of the discussion that happened in the private group chat. I would potentially apologize on behalf of the group as a WHOLE.

• Linda Mockmore-Sawler
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #11603

First if I was in a group chat private or otherwise and the subject of sexuality came up, I like to think that I would change the subject and say it isn’t anyone’s business to talk about or comment on. If I was on the committee receiving the complaint, I would let Boston Cellars know how sorry it happened and that I along with the committee will be checking into  the grievance complaint and returning a timely  and fair solution to the situation for all concerned.

• Kelsey Hall
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #11605

Whenever you have to deal with a grievance in a work place it is always important to get all parties together to discus the situation, and come up with a comfortable resolution that both parties agree with. I have found that when you are put into a situation that has caused anthers discomfort;it helps to be understanding and open to receive any criticism. Being able to listen to the person that you have offended and willing to fix the problem makes both parties feel that there has been some resolve to the problem.

• Angela Santos
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14103

Q: Boston Cellars filed a grievance with Academic Affairs citing discriminatory comments about his sexuality, which was shared among you and other faculty members in a private group chat. How would you respond to his claim?

A: So, first, the claim would not be filed directly against me because I would not have been responding. However, I would be “guilty by association” because I was in the private group chat. I would then explain I cannot say whether someone meant to be discriminatory in any comments they may or may not have made. That type of conversation would have to be discussed directly with the ‘offender and offended.’

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Angela Santos.
    • Angela Santos
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14150

@Kelsey Hall,

I agree with you that listening and being willing to fix a situation will result in a better outcome. However, what if you weren’t the offender but the middle-man? Meaning, what if I came to you and said, “Jane Doe said blah blah blah,” or “John Doe told me that Jane Doe said blah blah blah.” How would you address that scenario?

• Liliana Mendoza
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14155

He will end up paying $800.

He will be off provation.

• Liliana Mendoza
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14161

i would ask whats going on and see if theres a way i can help her.

• Liliana Mendoza
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14166

I would say im not allowed to give her that information

• Liliana Mendoza
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14172

I would respond that i didn’t say anything i was just there but wasn’t actually  involved.

• Michele Dodson
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14173

I would respond within the 10 day period and apologize for any part I held in the situation as well as apologize for how the situation made them feel in the first place.

• Gerardo Espinoza-Lopez
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14174

I would just ask Boston how they are doing, and I’m sorry for what happened. I’m assuming I (the responder) am not the one at fault with the grievance being made against me, so I would leave it at that.

• Arisabeth Simphoukham
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14873

If Boston Cellars filed a grievance with Academic Affairs citing discriminatory comments about his sexuality, which was share among other faculty members and I in a private group chat, I would respond to his claim but issuing a formal apology. If there were any misunderstanding I would try to get Boston and the rest of the faculty members to discuss the situation and come to an understanding about what was said and why they were said.

• Guadalupe Rodriguez
        June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14914

Hello Arisabeth,

Your response is extraordinaire making you stellar to work with Boston Cellars. An exemplary leader convinces a group of faculty members to discuss the matter and come up with a solution. Future employees need to find support and feel accepted for they are. No one is going to criticize without positive psychology or unconditional love.

• Guadalupe Rodriguez
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14912
      1. Boston Cellars filed a grievance with Academic Affairs citing discriminatory comments about his sexuality, which was shared among you and other faculty members in a private group chat. How would you respond to the claim? If Boston Cellars filed a grievance with Academic Affairs citing discriminatory comments about his sexuality, which he shared among other faculty members in a private group chat, I formally apologize to him through the group chat. If a misunderstanding took place I reach out to Boston Cellars and other faculty members to talk about the situation and come up with a solution to make it stop for future employees to not feel uncomfortable.
    • Myra Rodriguez
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14923

1. Boston Cellars filed a grievance with Academic Affairs citing discriminatory comments about his sexuality, which was shared among you and other faculty member in a private group chat. How would you respond to his claim? It’s not professional for any faculty member to be sharing among other faculty or anyone a citing discriminatory comment. If I shared an unprofessional comment with other faculty member in a private group chat I will apologize to Boston through the group chat and I will come up with a solution that no one will feel treated arbitrarily or unfairly within the context of the course.

• Guadalupe Rodriguez
        June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14932

Hello Myra,

It’s very true to respect the right to privacy of others helps us build stronger networks and connections.

• Christian Wissenback
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #14969

Boston Cellars filed a grievance with Academic Affairs citing discriminatory comments about his sexuality which was shared among you and other faculty members in a private group chat. How do you respond?
      I would promptly issue an apology on the group chat and to the individual for any pain or suffering caused by any mistakes on my end. The discussion of any team members personal lives on a group chat is highly unprofessional and shouldn’t happen in the first place. I would also contact Boston Cellars so we could try to come up with a way to mitigate any damage caused.

• Rachael Vasquez
      June 13, 2016 at 2:28 PM #15042

GRIEVANCE POLICY SCENARIO:

Any college has the right to freely express their concerns on a unlawful discrimination toward them. I would make sure there allegations would be equally heard and if found  that the situation be handled in a professional manner were all parties are happy with the out come. But as for me being involved that should not happen if I am following the rules and the privacy rights of my collages in the workplace. We should not be discussing people’s personal business in a public environment nor should we discuss there business period.

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search