• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
      July 22, 2016 at 9:02 AM #6066

Assignment

Complete one (1) of the discussion questions as you engage and participate in the community with others. Share your perspective and experiences in the eCourse forum. Be certain to read and comment on other student posts, and ask clarifying questions.

• Select four disciplines you feel complement your primary discipline and would be ideal to support your professional development. What are the similarities? What are the differences? Share why you feel these core disciplines are important to your profession. (250 words)
      • What can you begin doing now to develop additional competencies and skills in each of these core disciplines? (250 words)
    • KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
      July 22, 2016 at 9:02 AM #6166

Select four disciplines you feel complement your primary discipline and would be ideal to support your professional development. What are the similarities? What are the differences? Share why you feel these core disciplines are important to your profession. (250 words)

Four disciplines that could complement my primary discipline of Communication are: English, Writing, Leadership, and Instructional Design. These four would be ideal to support my professional development because, as I develop them further, I can accomplish more in my career.

As an educator, my primary discipline is communication ? most specifically: public speaking. English, Writing, and Leadership are natural complements to educating students in the art of public speaking, as well as other fields of study within the primary field of Communication. Instructional Design complements communication in that it allows for the creation and development of content for students to learn.

As a discipline, English is very important for keeping communication clear. Proper grammar and word usage is vital to professional communication. Whether one is speaking publicly or communicating interpersonally with colleagues, students, administrators, business partners, employers, or clients, communication that is grammatically incorrect will deplete professional reputation. Polished grammar is the mark of a professional communicator ? no matter what the field of study.

Writing is complementary to Communication, as I can use my strengths in writing to author books, articles, and programs for students at all levels. For example, to help my clients educate themselves, I have authored articles and books that address communication. For students planning on achieving academic success, I have authored a book and a program. To me, this ties in directly with the discipline of English, as everything I write must be grammatically correct.

Leadership is a field of study that has interested me for many years. When taking a training course in human development, the portion of the course that dealt with leadership gave me a desire to explore this topic further. Because of this, one of the business books I have authored is on the subject of leadership, specifically project leadership.

Instructional Design Technology allows for the creation and development of content for students to learn in multiple ways. This ties in with the English and Writing, and, depending upon the content, with Leadership and directly with Communication.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search