• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
      August 1, 2016 at 5:34 PM #6228

Forum Assignment

Start a discussion topic below that address the comment below:

Share a life experience or situation you had that required you to use an ethical mind.

Be certain to read and comment on other student posts, and ask clarifying questions.

• KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
      August 1, 2016 at 5:34 PM #6250

As an educator, I feel it is imperative to always conduct myself in an ethical manner when dealing with colleagues and students. One situation, in particular, comes to mind. One of the courses that I have been facilitating for many years at the college level is Speech (Public Speaking). My Course Syllabus is very thorough. It spells out in great detail what I expect from my students, and what my students should expect from the course and from me. I have always abided by my syllabus. I also give students all of their major speech assignments, in detail, during the first or second class session of the course. That way, students understand from the beginning what is required.

One of the speeches that I require students to present is a persuasive speech on a research-intensive topic. The topic must be of a controversial nature. They are required to meet with me for topic and approach approval. They are further required to utilize Monroe’s Motivated Sequence (MMR) to organize their presentations. I have a Note to Students on the assignment that if they do not do the research, they will not be permitted to present. If they do not utilize (MMR), they will not be permitted to present. In such a case, the grade will stand at 0% for the speech.

One of my students chose not to meet the requirements of doing research and using MMR. When he presented me with his preparation outline, I asked him to please sit down because he would not have opportunity to present. After class, he came to my office, in a very agitated manner, and demanded to present during the following class session. I simply asked him to refer to the requirements for the assignment.  The next day, I received a call from the Director of Human Resources, asking me to come in to meet with her. This student came to see her, and accused me of not allowing him to present because of racial prejudice. He accused me of saying things in my office that were racially motivated. I did not, nor would I ever, do such a thing. I live by my ethics. Fortunately, two other professors were in my office, at the time. The director of HR contacted them for verification that I communicate based upon my ethical mind.

I showed the HR director the assignment, as documented, as well as my syllabus. As far as the HR director was concerned, the matter was closed (in my favor). The student, however, was not satisfied and had his father meet with the president of the college. She explained to the parent that his son was an adult and was being held accountable to work within the requirements of all college courses. She also explained that the college prides itself on guiding students to conduct themselves in an ethical manner, and that making baseless accusations just to get a professor to change or ignore a requirement is highly unethical and will not be tolerated.

This is my example of utilizing my ethical mind, at a career level.

• Dr. Monique Benjamin
      August 1, 2016 at 5:34 PM #7434

As a teacher, using an ethical mind is pivotal to developing a productive learning environment for all students. When one thinks ethically, one is able to use a moral compass to guide through life. With a moral compass, one is able to see things for what they are and the ability for things to change, depending on the actions one takes. An ethical mind keeps honesty in education and integrity in the learning process.

• KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
        August 1, 2016 at 5:34 PM #7465

Hello, Monique.

I agree that utilizing one’s ethical mind keeps honesty in education and integrity in the learning process. Can you share a specific example, relating this?

• Keisha Austin
      August 1, 2016 at 5:34 PM #7708

I use an ethical mind almost every Sunday while teaching my class in children’s church as well as I instruct my flag dance class. You have to the ability to understand what you are teaching and have integrity and wisdom. When teaching, you also have to be professional so that things may flow and have order.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search