• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #4672

Note: Reinforce the Guiding Principles as you complete the collaboration and sharing scenario.

• Which tool do you like the most? Why? Share your perspective.
    • KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #4775

For collaboration, I prefer the Video & Audio Conferencing. My conferencing tool of choice is SKYPE, because I find it very easy to utilize when needing to share screens and add other people to the call. It is a wonderful tool for communication and participation with people all over the world. I also prefer utilizing Conferencing for Coaching students and for encouraging students to provide Mentorship for each other.

• Dr. Shinshuri
        June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #4781

KimAlyse,

Skype is a popular video, audio, and instant messaging tool. But it has some connectivity and lag issues. It also has a tendency to drop calls. It can be a real pain, when you are engaged in a very important meeting.

• Eugene Ceballos
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #4776

I can say that I agree with Mrs. Popkave, I also like the conferencing tool SKYPE. I also find it easier to utilize and also most people are more familiar with that Application. Its very convenient to use.

June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #4778

Eugene, once people learn of Join.me, it is fairly easy to use, especially for our eClass Sessions.
        We just need to play with it to familiarize ourselves with it.

• Troy Jackson
          June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #14937

I totally agree with you Kim.  Join.me is a great tool to connect with people for eClass Sessions because it’s virtual.  Meaning you do not have to leave your home to participate and engage.  I find it to be very user-friendly as well.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Troy Jackson.
      • Dr. Shinshuri
        June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #4779

Hey Eugune. I like skype tool. What other video and audio messaging tools have you used? Have you tried Trillian Pro or iChat on the Mac?

• Eugene Ceballos
          June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #4788

I must admit Dr. Shinshuri, I am fairly new to these Video conferencing applications. You can say that I am learning as I go. I agree with you that people do become more familiar with these applications the more they use them. I am starting to engage in the Social Learning Environment!!!

• Kimerli Sawyer
          June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #5600

Hi KimAlyse,
          I agree that once people learn and familiarize themselves with other options such as Join.Me, it becomes easier to add this tool to the chest.

• Dr. Shinshuri
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #4777

I like all of the collaboration tools. I don’t have a favorite one. I like them all and enjoy testing and trying out new ones all the time. I like to select based on my immediate needs. Some tools are definitely better to use depending on the situation and circumstance. In other words, I allow my immediate task or need drive which collaboration tool I use. That will be the one I like at any given time.

June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #4780

Yes, Dr. Shinshuri, I think if we try out new tools with a sense of play and discovery, we will learn to utilize and enjoy working with these new tools.

• Dr. Shinshuri
          June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #4782

Yes indeed. I love exploration!

• Eugene Ceballos
          June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #4789

Yes Mrs. Popkave, let us play and discover how these new applications and tools work for our benefit of Social Learning!!

• Phillip Seibel
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #5312

I’ve really come to enjoy Google’s suite of collaboration tools. Hangouts is more stable than Skype (for me, at least) and even includes a white board, if I remember correctly. I have worked with colleagues in the past on a shared Google document where we are all simultaneously adding and editing it, and even sharing messages in real time. It has really worked better than almost anything else I have used.

• Candice Thomas
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #5313

I like all of them, but Skype is one that I use most often. I also like live chats, and students like it as well because you can get your questions answered in the live session without having to wait or be on camera. Overall, I believe all are very useful, with Skype being my favorite because it is easy to use with the option of video or simply live chats.

Candice

• Kimerli Sawyer
        June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #5601

Phillip,
        Google Docs is AMAZING! When needing to collaborate on a document, that is the only way to go.

• Kimerli Sawyer
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #5599

I would have to agree with the majority and go with Skype. The first reason would be because most, if not all of the students are already familiar with Skype, which would take some of the frustration of technical issues out of the equation for them. The second reason is because I am familiar with Skype which then allows me, as the instructor, to focus on the students and delivering the curriculum.

Being that the academic delivery mode is completely online, technical issues are going to occur. I completed about 3 of my undergrad classes online and my entire Master’s program was online. That being said, I believe that live chats and online class sessions are very important, but contingency plans must always be built in for students who are having technical problems. I have to admit that I missed about 3/4 of the last session of this class because I experienced technical difficulties with my internet connection.

• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
        June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #5618

Kimerli, you make a very good point technical issues do arise and quite often. The goodness about our learning portal is the multiple learning strategies at play with eModule and eClass products, forums, live chat, groups, virtual meeting rooms like join.me, ect.

The richness of the learning experience is not lost due to these issues. WE have built in workarounds with all the other integrated components that if a student misses a eClass or a portion thereof, then the can still get all the good learning nuggets and richness of the experience by being participatory and collaborative in the online portal.

As for Skype, I really like it too, but it is limiting in that it drops calls more frequently and the number of simultaneous connections with multiple users is limiting and costly. Join.me and several other video conference tools allow for large eClass sizes.

Dr. Shinshuri

• Kueleza Vega
        June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #6624

I completely agree with you. Your answer is well thought out and really goes into depth.

• Kueleza Vega
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #6620

I prefer the Skype tool because it allows for a more interactive experience.

• Latasha Armstrong
        June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #6622

I agree because this is a nice tool when your traveling

• Latasha Armstrong
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #6621

I pr feet he video and chat tool. It allows you to chat and visual see if the person is engaged.

• June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #6623

I personally like the the joinme/skype collaboration tool the best. The main reason it allows me to grow professional and stay up to date with the latest forms of communication. Not only that I have learned how to share documentation and screens which will be very valuable to me for my professional goals.

• June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #6904

Personally for me, I really like the video/audio, because it forces everyone to be engaged for more important/specific topics. The other tools, are great too, but are more flexible and can be utilized 24/7.

• Anita Johnson
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #6905

I like the live chat the best. I believe people like a quick answers. If they need more information then the video will be better.

• Dr. Monique Benjamin
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #7380

Of the collaboration tools offered, I prefer Join.Me. I like the simplicity of the program and the fact that it’s easily accessible, not only by faculty, but student as well. I like the ability to quickly change the proctor roles and give students an opportunity to facilitate, thus encouraging the mantra of OL Academy, to coach students in an immersive environment that promotes academic innovation.

• Dr. Monique Benjamin
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #7381

Of the collaboration tools offered, I prefer Join.Me. I like the simplicity of the program and the fact that it’s easily accessible, not only by faculty, but student as well. I like the ability to quickly change the proctor roles and give students an opportunity to facilitate, thus encouraging the mantra of OL Academy, to coach students in an immersive environment that promotes academic innovation.

June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #7390

Hello, Monique.

I would tend to agree with you here. I prefer video conferencing, as well. And, Join.me is relatively user-friendly. It is, as you said, easy to give students opportunity too present, and it is also easy to record a session.

• Keisha Austin
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #7604

I like the join me app.. i did not like skype because it kept freezing.. With my windows laptop, the join me freezes as far as talking directly through the audio & web cam.. Other than that, i think its a pretty cool app.

June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #7608

Hello, Keisha.

I, too, like the Join.me app. However, I have always liked SKYPE, and still use it for personal and business calls. I use the Join.me app for Oracles of Truth Academy & Shinshuri Foundation business.

In our eClasses, I have found that the forums are a great tool for collaboration. As a student on the portal, I enjoyed the opportunity to discuss with my peers, the various assignments in the faculty orientation course. As faculty, I love the forum, because it not only allows me to interact with my students, it also provides a way for me to evaluate their participation in an online environment.

• June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #11333

Which tool do you like the most?

I prefer to use either Join.me or Zoom, but I am pretty open to the use of new technology.

• Troy Jackson
        June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #14939

I agree with you.  I am all for up to date technology.  Zoom is cool but I like the features of Join.me.  To each his own. 🙂

• Arisabeth Simphoukham
          June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #14956

I haven’t used join.me that very much but it the few times I have, I like it so far. It has a lot of the same features that Zoom has.

• June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #11477

Microsoft teams is my favorite tool to use. I get notifications no problem, good to use in group sessions when everyone is not able to meet up. Easy to use.

• Linda Mockmore-Sawler
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #11563

I have used Skype when I talk to my Grandkids because I like seeing them when I’m talking. It makes me feel like I’m right there in the same room having a conversation. I learned about Join.me when I came to work for Dr. Shinshuri. I’m learning about more ways to connect through the internet and it’s interesting to learn the different platforms or Apps out there. My Son-in-law works for a company that uses MS Teams  and he thinks is better then all of the ones out there. I haven’t used it yet but I’m looking forward to trying it.

• Angela Santos
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #14106

Q: Which tool do you like the most? Why? Share your perspective.

A:  I have only used ooVoo, Skype, and now MS Teams, and the one I like the most would have to be MS Teams because it is new. So, being able to explore its contents and learn something is enjoyable for me.

• Michele Dodson
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #14189

I find that video conference is preferred, more so with people I don’t know well. It is a little easier to understand tone of a comment it I can see their face or hear their voice. After I get to know people and sort of communication tool works well.

• Michele Dodson
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #14190

[postquote quote=6905]
      I agree with you Anita. We live in a world where we are used to having all the answers at the tip of our fingertips all of the time. People tend to get impatient if anything takes longer than they think it should. Which at times is not a realistic time frame. Oh well life is a bout adapting.

• Myra Rodriguez
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #14941

Which tool do you like the most? Why? Share your perspective. 

The tools I like the most are MS Teams, Zoom, Google, and Microsoft Power point. The reason I like MS teams and Zoom are because they are easy to navigate and I could turn on video conference if preferred. My first experience using this two tools were like how awesome that I could do multiple things at once. Google is a great tools to use because it a key holder to mainly all my google searches and answers. Microsoft power point  has allowed my to create amazing presentation and also, create amazing content with style for school presentations or at work.

• Arisabeth Simphoukham
        June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #14955

Hi Myra,

I for one, cannot imagine a life without Google! It’s one of the best ways to research and find what you need. What I am always told is that, you need to know how to “Search” and format it to get specific results and narrow down closely to answers that you are trying to find.

• Myra Rodriguez
          June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #15024

Hello Arisabeth,

I agree, it’s important to search for reliable sources because google is the number one key holder to all the answers.

• Myra Rodriguez
        June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #15025

Microsoft PowerPoint has allowed me to create amazing presentation and also, create amazing context with style for school presentations or at work.

• Arisabeth Simphoukham
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #14954

Given my background in the tech field, my tool of choice would be Slack because it was easy to communicate, chat, make video calls and share code snippets. It was also easy to archive, save and share files. With Slack you are able to create teams and within it have other sub channels which was really neat and helped keep things organized. Slack also has a nicer design and look to it.

• Myra Rodriguez
        June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #15026

Hello Arisabeth,

Great to hear that slack keeps things organized and easy to navigate. I have not yet use slack but will be doing some research on how to use it.

• Christian Wissenback
      June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #14970

I prefer to use google, Microsoft office products such as team chat, along with zoom and skype for video calls because if the ease of use in all those applications and web pages, and the connectivity they offer. I do not have much experience as this is my first time using a lot of these products so I am going off how these tools are helping me right now as I learn from the Oracles academy.

• Myra Rodriguez
        June 13, 2016 at 2:31 PM #15027

Hello Christian,

Great to hear that you have immersive in the learning experience at OTA by using all the tools to learn, unlearn, and relearn.

Viewing 23 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search