• Dr. Shinshuri
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4783

How do you infuse collaboration and sharing into every learning experience? Showing us works better than telling us.

• KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed.
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4785

One way to infuse collaboration into every learning experience is to do what we are doing right now…posting questions in the forum, and having participants respond to each other.
      We can also give mini-projects or practices for students to work together and respond to each other. When they come back into the eClass, they can share with the class.
      Another way to infuse collaboration into learning experiences is to encourage students to work together on certain assignments, and to meet with teams of students to collaborate with them.

• Dr. Shinshuri
        June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4790

KimAlyse:

Those were some great examples. But, have you thought about how you might embed gamification into this experience as well. I’m getting ready to take a certification course on Coursera called Gamification! I’d like to add an eCourse called Gamification Infused to the portal for Faculty Professional Development. What do you think about this as a cool new eCourse?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Dr. Shinshuri.
        • Eugene Ceballos
          June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4792

Gamification sounds very Interesting!!

• Dr. Shinshuri
            June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4797

Eugene:

Gamification is really fun! I am already using it with some of my corporate clients. Bt, I want to get the certification cause I want to do much more with it including developing new intellectual properties and curricula!

June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4798

Hello, Eugene.
            What about gamification sounds interesting to you?
            Have you had any experience with it?

• Eugene Ceballos
            June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4810

Mrs. Popkave, in response to your question about “Gamification”, I have never had any past experience that I know about with this term. I mean maybe when I was younger I might have had experience with it, however what seems interesting to me is to how us as Educators and Faculty will be able to incorporate “Gamification” into our online classrooms and learning experience for our students. If we can make the learning experience Fun and exciting for our students then that is something that will definitely be interesting. I can only imagine the possibilities!!

• Kimerli Sawyer
            June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #5603

Dr. Shinshuri,
            Can you explain exactly what gamification is?

June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4795

I have not thought of using gamification. I never really got much into playing, let alone creating, digital games.
          This is something I should research, to see how to utilize it effectively.
          We should discuss this further — then, perhaps we can take the discussion to our proposed ongoing faculty development sessions, once we get that started.

• Dr. Shinshuri
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4786

I eat, sleep, pray, and love flexible learning. It is the only thing I am really interested in as an educator. Experiences is how I infuse interactive, collaborative, immersive, and social learning experiences. It’s dichotomous. I use experiences to create the very thing that I am infusing. Focus on allowing learners to co-create the experience with you. Viola! You will always have an infused flexible, immersive, social learning experience.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Dr. Shinshuri.
        June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4791

I completely understand, Dr. Shinshuri, what you mean by your first statement. I had a conversation, today, with a gentleman who works at the Schuylkill Center. He asked me what I do for a living, and I told him that I am an educator. He asked for what school did I work, and I informed him of Shinshuri Foundation and how we are launching OTA. I started explaining how we have structured our college, and the many advantages we offer our learning community. His reply to all I told him was simply: “It is obvious that you really love what you do!”

• Eugene Ceballos
          June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4799

I can agree, A sense of pride in being an educator is something that I am very much looking forward to Mrs. Popkave.

• Eugene Ceballos
        June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #4796

In my opinion, flexible learning is the way of the Future Dr. Shinshuri. I heard a statistic before that about 25% of returning students are interested in Flexible and online learning in order to pursue their education. That is a lot of students and the future is just exciting to think about. The sky is the Limit!!

• Kimerli Sawyer
          June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #5604

Eugene,
          I think that statistic may even be on the low end. I know that 100% of my colleagues who are looking to return to school are only interested in a flexible or online school. I know for my Master’s program, the only schools I considered were those that offered a fully online program. I recently decided to obtain my EdD, and the same factor applied. I only applied to schools offering an online doctoral program. The good news is that more and more traditional universities are offering fully online formats. I was surprised to find that USC and UCB have fully online programs, now.

• Phillip Seibel
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #5314

I primarily do this by getting people to share experiences with each other and bounce ideas off of each other. I will often use open-ended questions to do this, occasionally adding in some additional comments to try and get things going if no one wants to speak up.

• Candice Thomas
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #5315

You do this by asking open ended questions and requiring students to post more than just “I agree” statements to other students. Posts should have some meaning to them, and students should be encouraged to ask questions as well.

Candice

• Kimerli Sawyer
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #5602

How do you infuse collaboration and sharing into every learning experience? Showing us works better than telling us.

It may be a bit more challenging in an online environment, so I have to give this a lot more thought. In my on-ground teaching experiences, I have used many techniques such as:
      * posing a question to the class and having the class break into groups to answer or research sections of the question and then reporting out to the entire group.
      * when teaching one class about youth mental health, one of the activities designed to bring awareness to normal adolescent development, is to have the class break up into tables. Each table is given a topic and the table has to draw a picture depicting the topic. The topics are things like male or physical changes, male or female behavioral changes. The group always loves this activity.
      * another great activity that always works is games like Jeopardy or Family Feud. I have used Jeopardy for many years to teach Law Enforcement Terminology and Law Enforcement Database Systems. These subjects are pretty boring and dry, but the Jeopardy games really get lively and exciting.

• Dr. Tammé Shinshuri
        June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #5620

Kimerli:

You share some good examples of collaboration. I know that this level of sharing and collaboration can be mirrored in our online portal. You can break students into groups/teams and give them the same assignments except now they would be sharing this either in a live video conferencing call, in eCourse forums or user created groups.

Can you think of other ways/techniques you might be able to employ to infuse collaborative social learning into the online experience? The idea here is to overcome the tendency to depend and rely on email messaging and discussion threads only, but introduce socially inspired activities that stimulate and challenge students to be expressive, communicative, creative, participatory, and social.

Dr. Shinshuri

• Kueleza Vega
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #6625

I would just have everyone share their thoughts, opinions and view points.

June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #6627

Kueleza, can you be more specific here, please. Can you give a couple of examples?

• June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #6626

I have infused the class forum and video conference as collaboration to communicate with other in the class to not only to answer question via-text. It also allow me to expand my communication skills thru technology.

• Anita Johnson
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #6907

It would be fun to use different ways with different students. One group, one video conferences, etc. This will so the best way the student could learn.

I really think student learn better when they work in groups to make it better.

• Dr. Shinshuri
        June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #6941

Hi Anita:

Yes using multiple types of learning strategies to infuse collaboration into the learning experience can be awesome. One thing I like to do during live eClass sessions is introduce provocative questions after sharing an experience or story about the learning experiences I had when working on projects or assignments that are contextually tied to the subject or topic of the eClass. This allows the learners to express their perspective of the topic based on various examples and scenarios that are being reinforced in the learning.

Can you share an example of a time when you infused multiple learning strategies into the learning experience? What did you do? How did you do it? What feedback did learners share with you about the experience (e.g. learning outcomes)?

• June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #6927

How I would infuse collaboration/sharing learning would vary by the topic and lesson objectives. If it is something we can have each participant personally engage in, such as we did as a group as we practiced the chat feature last week. This enabled us to experience the process of how sending a chat works and how you would receive a chat. Chatting is not a challenging task, but because we were “infused” by doing (chatting) I was able to learn that in order to receive a chat, we had to keep the chat window open.  There are many ways to get infused with learning, but this example, is just one way to incorporate it.

• Dr. Shinshuri
        June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #6943

Hi Mónica:

Yes infusing chat is a creative way to collaborate with students. This is the reason we ask faculty to activate their chat when they log in to the portal. At the college, we want to encourage and reinforce the importance of collaboration by integrating various social technologies into the learning platform to make it easy to integrate/infuse collaboration to enrich the learning experiences for students.

As you experienced, we can leverage chat technology for more than just social interaction, help, or technical support. We can use it to respond real-time to learners to answer questions they may have about assignments, discuss lessons and topics, and create a fun collaborate learning experience too!

June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #6931

Hello, Monica.

Yes, we collaborated on learning how to utilize the Chat feature of our portal, from the standpoint of being a Chat Agent. In this way we can be more accessible to our students. How will you create collaborative learning experiences for your students? Will the collaboration involve just the students, or will you, at times, collaborate with them?

• Dr. Monique Benjamin
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #7379

Collaboration and sharing are key elements to developing student learning. Students are able to develop social learning skills by communicating and sharing their ideas with other students, through engagement in healthy academic debates.  If I happen to notice that a student is not actively participating and engaging with others, privately, I may address the student to discuss any hinderances that may be affecting the student’s performance in the ECourse. Through collaboration tools, facilitators and students can stay connected, so that students continue to develop social learning as they progress into their professions.

June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #7389

Hello, Monique.

You mentioned academic debates as a method of infusing collaboration into the learning experience. This is a wonderful idea, because it requires that all learners involved in the debate have done some preparation to have a basic understanding of the topic. Then, learners gain new perspectives from all who are participating.

What other examples of ideas for collaboration can you bring to this conversation?

• Keisha Austin
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #7605

I agree with the gamification idea.. I also like the video chats, being able to ask-open ended questions.. I”m pretty good with those because it helps me to broaden my mind. I love social media & texting so being online is a great way to collaborate with everyone. I love games that have to do with puzzles and language arts.. So i would set up a video chat and share via group video.. I hope i explained this good enough..

June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #7609

Yes, Keisha. You explained yourself very well.
        You enjoy using technology to the best of your ability to collaboratively learn with others. You enjoy social media, and enjoy using it as a learning tool.
        It seems that you are taking the approach of “let’s play” in your education. That sense of play allows you to be very explorative, and is a wonderful tool for learning.

• June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #11334

Jessica Beal’s academic performance the first four weeks of the eCourse was stellar. During weeks 5 and 6 you notice a significant drop in her attendance and participate . What would you do to help?

I would ask her if there is anything I can do to help and if there’s anything she would like to disclose to me. Afterwards, I would look up any resources to assist her and help her better her situation, if needed.

• Vivian Bailey
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #11336

“Jessica Beals academic performance for the first four weeks of the e-course was stellar. During weeks 5 and 6 you noticed a significant drop in her attendance and participation. What would you do to help her?”

I would talk to her and ask what was going on in an effort to assess how I may be able to help. If she is not willing to discuss the details of her situation, then I would ask her what I could do to help her regain her focus so that she could get back to excelling in her course work.

• Linda Mockmore-Sawler
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #11582

Jessica Beal’s academic performance the first four weeks of the eCourse was stellar. During weeks 5 and 6 you notice a significant drop in her attendance and participation. What would you do to help?

I would ask her if she could sit and talk about things in general to get her to open up. If she is willing to talk about things then maybe we together could come up with a way for her to get back in the grove of learning again. Maybe she needs a one on one teaching to understand what is going on and how to get through it.

• Angela Santos
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14107

Q: How do you infuse collaboration and sharing into every learning experience?

A: Infusing collaboration and sharing into every learning experience (to me) would be what Oracles of Truth Academy does in this Oracles Learning Community with the eCourses. By asking questions that provoke thought and requiring students to provide more than just a simple “yes” or “no.”

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Angela Santos.
    • Dr. Shinshuri
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14122

[postquote quote=14107]

@Angela Santos, Yes. I agree. That is a great way to stimulate provocative discussions. What are some other ways in which you can collaborate and share with others in a social learning community?

• Dr. Shinshuri
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14123

[postquote quote=11582]

@Linda Mockmore-Sawler. Yes, talking with Jesica is a good start. Probing and asking questions to understand her current life situation might be helpful as well. The issue may not be academic at all. It could be something else entirely.

• Angela Santos
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14131

@Dr. Shinshuri,

Q: What are some other ways in which you can collaborate and share with others in a social learning community?

A: Some people use Skype, Zoom, and now MS Teams for video conferencing, which allows them to exchange dialogue, provide suggestions, and present presentations. Also, one thing that comes to mind is a cloud base software. Cloud base software’s provide multiple ways organizations, teams, and/or individuals collaborate, including project management tools and documents, such as Word or Excel, which then allows them to work together in real-time. Also, it allows the documents to be saved automatically. These types of software’s will log every change and update made if there is a need to revert to a previous version of the project. What is great about these cloud based software’s is that it can also be provided in a web based form, which eliminates the need to download and install any type of software/program that can be accessed through a simple web browser.

• Dr. Shinshuri
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14134

[postquote quote=14131]

@Angela:

Yes. You are absolutely correct in sharing more insight about other tools that we can use to be more collaborative. Sometimes, people only look to social media as the premiere format, but there are many ways to be collaborative and interactive with one another. Technology does empower us through multiple types of mediums. The challenge is for more of us to embrace the tools and technologies we know less about to empower ourselves to be more efficient and productive. The key is to learn to use the tools that give you maximum flexible to me collaborative and interactive, while also being efficient and productive. Learning to choose your tools wisely is a great skill to develop. Thank you for the stimulating dialogue. Your interactions in the forum help me to learn too! That is why these discussion forums are such a powerful tool to share and get to know one another, plus the fact that we can share our knowledge and help others at the same time.

• Troy Jackson
        June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #15628

I agree with you Dr. Shinshuri.  Those are great tools.  I feel that LinkedIn would be another tool to use to collaborate and share content as well.  Do you agree?

• Angela Santos
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14149

[postquote quote=14134]
      Most definitely, and thank you as well. You made me think!

• Michele Dodson
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14191

How do you infuse collaboration and sharing into every learning experience?

It always amazes me to watch a group of children and see how they are able to teach each other new skills, either intentionally or not. Some people are able to see or hear something, understand it and set of on their own. While others need  step by step instructions with every single level., and then you have people in between those two points.  That being said one of the best ways to  solidify your understanding of a new subject is to teach or help someone else understand it better too. So collaborating with a large pool of people should help everyone to grasp the concepts better as well. If we view all of life as learning, then all of life becomes a collaboration with the world around us.

• Troy Jackson
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14935

Question:  Jessica Beal’s academic performance the first four weeks of the eCourse was stellar.  During weeks 5 and 6 you notice a significant drop in her attendance and participation.  What would you do to help?

Answer:  I would reach out to Jessica, via Email, Chat and/or MS Teams to express my concerns with her attendance.  Without prying too much I would see if her reason was business or personal related.  Upon finding out more information in relations to her attendance and participation, I would make suggestions to help her bounce back on track.  Encouragement is always the key!  I can tell her that she is not alone and that “There’s no ” I ” in Team.  We Are One and we help each other in this learning community.  Last but not least, I would would remind her of the other tools she can use to reach out whenever she felt the need to talk about a situation that caused has or may decrease in her performance in the future.

e.g. “Schedule an Appointment” with one of the faculty members.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by Troy Jackson.
    • Guadalupe Rodriguez
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14940

What are some other ways in which you can collaborate and share with others in a social learning community?

If you can collaborate and share with others in a social learning community, individuals can communicate through video chat conferences like Skype, Join.me, MS Teams, Zoom, and social media networks providing video chat to share ideas together. We can share our screen on Join.me, MS Teams, and Zoom to show what are you working on with a team member. Owncloud is a software designed to share project management, data analytics, financial excel tools with other team members within a work environment. Also, Owncloud automatically saves and force syncs the document. Owncloud automatically updates to different versions, and restores previous saved documents. The best feature of Owncloud is files are shared with every team member at OTA, and we are able to access every file. Collaboration starts with sharing ideas together as a team just like technology links us.

• Myra Rodriguez
        June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14947

Hello Guadalupe,

I agree, Owncloud does share files to all team members at work but, if Owncloud is down no one could view the work or assignments. One great strategy is to also, save all work assignments to the computer desktop or email if Owncloud is not responding.

• Myra Rodriguez
          June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14948

Hello Guadalupe,

I agree, Owncloud does share files to all team members at work but, if Owncloud is down no one could view the work or assignments. One great strategy is to also, save all work assignments to the computer desktop or email if Owncloud is not responding. By saving the work assignments everyone will be able to collaborate and complete the work on time .

• Arisabeth Simphoukham
          June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14959

OwnCloud is definitely a secure way to share confidential files between team members.

• Myra Rodriguez
            June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #15021

Hello Arisabeth,

I agree, Owncloud is a secure way to share confidential files but, if it’s down no one could view the work or assignments. It’s always a great idea to save the work on the desk top.

• Myra Rodriguez
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14942

What are some other ways in which you can collaborate and share with others in a social learning community?

Now, in the 21st century more teams are becoming remote, and I could collaborate/share with others by using different tools like MS Teams, Join.me, Zoom, and outlook email. Those platforms are my social learning community tools that have work for me and our team to have a successful collaboration to exchange ideas and important information. Another way I collaborate are using Microsoft word, excel sheet, and power point to complete assignments and share important information with others. Many colleges do not teach the necessary skill needed to be a good team collaborator. OTA  gave me the experience to immersive in all the skills to be a good team collaborator. Some important skills to have in order to accomplish a successful collaboration are being emotional intelligence and respect for diversity in school settings or work environment.

• Guadalupe Rodriguez
        June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14953

Hello Myra,

The video conferencing has helped us collaborate together especially right now during COVID19. It is important to highlight these reasons.

• Arisabeth Simphoukham
          June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14958

Even we aren’t able to be at the same locations sometimes these tools are super useful to be able to collaborate and work with one another.

• Arisabeth Simphoukham
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14957

There are plenty of ways to share and collaborate with others in a social learning community by using tools such a MS Teams, Zoom, Join.Me, Slack and even on Facebook. All of these have the option for you to chat and share screens and send files.

• Myra Rodriguez
        June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #15022

Hello Arisabeth,

I agree, those platforms are great to share and collaborate with each other. Also, those tools are great to use to learn and to collaborate everyday.

• Christian Wissenback
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14972

How do you infuse collaboration and sharing into every learning experience?

Collaboration and sharing are very important for information to pass form one person to another. If we never shared information and ideas we wouldn’t come up with very good solutions in a timely manner as the best ideas are from a large pool of minds working together towards a common goal or outcome. The greater the pool of minds, ideas, experiences and collective knowledge, the likelihood of a favorable outcome increases greatly.

• Christian Wissenback
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #14973

What are some ways in which you collaborate and share with others in a social learning community?
      I usually use social media sites like facebook, zoom, messenger, and ms teams to collaborate and learn socially. There are plenty of opther sites and applications for connectivity such as join.me, zoom, microsoft excel and teams as well. These sites are easy to use as you can share screens and transmit information rather quickly.

• Myra Rodriguez
        June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #15023

Hello Christian,

Yes, those platforms are easy to navigate once the individual knows how to use the tools. If the individual does not know how to use the tool it will be difficult to use the platforms.

• Troy Jackson
      June 16, 2016 at 6:52 PM #15627

Question:  What are some other ways in which you can collaborate and share with others in a social learning community?

Answer:  Well, in this day in time the most people own a cell phone/smart phone.  As long as you have a Wi-Fi connection and the right apps (i.e., MS Teams, Gmail, Dropbox, etc.) on your device, you can collaborate and share.  Also, there are other ways to connect with others and share files and documents if you are into social media (e.g., Facebook and Instagram).  Personally, I would not use Facebook and Instagram unless it is a “Private Group” set up by the learning community such as OTA.

Viewing 29 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Start typing and press Enter to search