Session 3: Collaboration Principles

Home Forums SO100EC OLC Portal Frontend Session 3: Collaboration Principles

This topic contains 29 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  KimAlyse Popkave, M.Ed. 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Dr. Shinshuri
    Keymaster

How do you infuse collaboration and sharing into every learning experience? Showing us works better than telling us.

• Author
    Replies

One way to infuse collaboration into every learning experience is to do what we are doing right now…posting questions in the forum, and having participants respond to each other.
    We can also give mini-projects or practices for students to work together and respond to each other. When they come back into the eClass, they can share with the class.
    Another way to infuse collaboration into learning experiences is to encourage students to work together on certain assignments, and to meet with teams of students to collaborate with them.

Dr. Shinshuri
      Keymaster

KimAlyse:

Those were some great examples. But, have you thought about how you might embed gamification into this experience as well. I’m getting ready to take a certification course on Coursera called Gamification! I’d like to add an eCourse called Gamification Infused to the portal for Faculty Professional Development. What do you think about this as a cool new eCourse?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Dr. Shinshuri.

Eugene Ceballos
        Keymaster

Gamification sounds very Interesting!!

Dr. Shinshuri
          Keymaster

Eugene:

Gamification is really fun! I am already using it with some of my corporate clients. Bt, I want to get the certification cause I want to do much more with it including developing new intellectual properties and curricula!

Hello, Eugene.
          What about gamification sounds interesting to you?
          Have you had any experience with it?

Eugene Ceballos
          Keymaster

Mrs. Popkave, in response to your question about “Gamification”, I have never had any past experience that I know about with this term. I mean maybe when I was younger I might have had experience with it, however what seems interesting to me is to how us as Educators and Faculty will be able to incorporate “Gamification” into our online classrooms and learning experience for our students. If we can make the learning experience Fun and exciting for our students then that is something that will definitely be interesting. I can only imagine the possibilities!!

Kimerli Sawyer
          Keymaster

Dr. Shinshuri,
          Can you explain exactly what gamification is?

I have not thought of using gamification. I never really got much into playing, let alone creating, digital games.
        This is something I should research, to see how to utilize it effectively.
        We should discuss this further — then, perhaps we can take the discussion to our proposed ongoing faculty development sessions, once we get that started.

Dr. Shinshuri
    Keymaster

I eat, sleep, pray, and love flexible learning. It is the only thing I am really interested in as an educator. Experiences is how I infuse interactive, collaborative, immersive, and social learning experiences. It’s dichotomous. I use experiences to create the very thing that I am infusing. Focus on allowing learners to co-create the experience with you. Viola! You will always have an infused flexible, immersive, social learning experience.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by  Dr. Shinshuri.

I completely understand, Dr. Shinshuri, what you mean by your first statement. I had a conversation, today, with a gentleman who works at the Schuylkill Center. He asked me what I do for a living, and I told him that I am an educator. He asked for what school did I work, and I informed him of Shinshuri Foundation and how we are launching OTA. I started explaining how we have structured our college, and the many advantages we offer our learning community. His reply to all I told him was simply: “It is obvious that you really love what you do!”

Eugene Ceballos
        Keymaster

I can agree, A sense of pride in being an educator is something that I am very much looking forward to Mrs. Popkave.

Eugene Ceballos
      Keymaster

In my opinion, flexible learning is the way of the Future Dr. Shinshuri. I heard a statistic before that about 25% of returning students are interested in Flexible and online learning in order to pursue their education. That is a lot of students and the future is just exciting to think about. The sky is the Limit!!

Kimerli Sawyer
        Keymaster

Eugene,
        I think that statistic may even be on the low end. I know that 100% of my colleagues who are looking to return to school are only interested in a flexible or online school. I know for my Master’s program, the only schools I considered were those that offered a fully online program. I recently decided to obtain my EdD, and the same factor applied. I only applied to schools offering an online doctoral program. The good news is that more and more traditional universities are offering fully online formats. I was surprised to find that USC and UCB have fully online programs, now.

Phillip Seibel
    Keymaster

I primarily do this by getting people to share experiences with each other and bounce ideas off of each other. I will often use open-ended questions to do this, occasionally adding in some additional comments to try and get things going if no one wants to speak up.

Candice Thomas
    Keymaster

You do this by asking open ended questions and requiring students to post more than just “I agree” statements to other students. Posts should have some meaning to them, and students should be encouraged to ask questions as well.

Candice

Kimerli Sawyer
    Keymaster

How do you infuse collaboration and sharing into every learning experience? Showing us works better than telling us.

It may be a bit more challenging in an online environment, so I have to give this a lot more thought. In my on-ground teaching experiences, I have used many techniques such as:
    * posing a question to the class and having the class break into groups to answer or research sections of the question and then reporting out to the entire group.
    * when teaching one class about youth mental health, one of the activities designed to bring awareness to normal adolescent development, is to have the class break up into tables. Each table is given a topic and the table has to draw a picture depicting the topic. The topics are things like male or physical changes, male or female behavioral changes. The group always loves this activity.
    * another great activity that always works is games like Jeopardy or Family Feud. I have used Jeopardy for many years to teach Law Enforcement Terminology and Law Enforcement Database Systems. These subjects are pretty boring and dry, but the Jeopardy games really get lively and exciting.

OT Academy
      Keymaster

Kimerli:

You share some good examples of collaboration. I know that this level of sharing and collaboration can be mirrored in our online portal. You can break students into groups/teams and give them the same assignments except now they would be sharing this either in a live video conferencing call, in eCourse forums or user created groups.

Can you think of other ways/techniques you might be able to employ to infuse collaborative social learning into the online experience? The idea here is to overcome the tendency to depend and rely on email messaging and discussion threads only, but introduce socially inspired activities that stimulate and challenge students to be expressive, communicative, creative, participatory, and social.

Dr. Shinshuri

Kueleza Vega
    Participant

I would just have everyone share their thoughts, opinions and view points.

Kueleza, can you be more specific here, please. Can you give a couple of examples?

Karesha Boyd
    Participant

I have infused the class forum and video conference as collaboration to communicate with other in the class to not only to answer question via-text. It also allow me to expand my communication skills thru technology.

Anita Johnson
    Keymaster

It would be fun to use different ways with different students. One group, one video conferences, etc. This will so the best way the student could learn.

I really think student learn better when they work in groups to make it better.

Dr. Shinshuri
      Keymaster

Hi Anita:

Yes using multiple types of learning strategies to infuse collaboration into the learning experience can be awesome. One thing I like to do during live eClass sessions is introduce provocative questions after sharing an experience or story about the learning experiences I had when working on projects or assignments that are contextually tied to the subject or topic of the eClass. This allows the learners to express their perspective of the topic based on various examples and scenarios that are being reinforced in the learning.

Can you share an example of a time when you infused multiple learning strategies into the learning experience? What did you do? How did you do it? What feedback did learners share with you about the experience (e.g. learning outcomes)?

Monica Rodriguez
    Keymaster

How I would infuse collaboration/sharing learning would vary by the topic and lesson objectives. If it is something we can have each participant personally engage in, such as we did as a group as we practiced the chat feature last week. This enabled us to experience the process of how sending a chat works and how you would receive a chat. Chatting is not a challenging task, but because we were “infused” by doing (chatting) I was able to learn that in order to receive a chat, we had to keep the chat window open.  There are many ways to get infused with learning, but this example, is just one way to incorporate it.

Dr. Shinshuri
      Keymaster

Hi Mónica:

Yes infusing chat is a creative way to collaborate with students. This is the reason we ask faculty to activate their chat when they log in to the portal. At the college, we want to encourage and reinforce the importance of collaboration by integrating various social technologies into the learning platform to make it easy to integrate/infuse collaboration to enrich the learning experiences for students.

As you experienced, we can leverage chat technology for more than just social interaction, help, or technical support. We can use it to respond real-time to learners to answer questions they may have about assignments, discuss lessons and topics, and create a fun collaborate learning experience too!

Hello, Monica.

Yes, we collaborated on learning how to utilize the Chat feature of our portal, from the standpoint of being a Chat Agent. In this way we can be more accessible to our students. How will you create collaborative learning experiences for your students? Will the collaboration involve just the students, or will you, at times, collaborate with them?

Monique Benjamin
    Keymaster

Collaboration and sharing are key elements to developing student learning. Students are able to develop social learning skills by communicating and sharing their ideas with other students, through engagement in healthy academic debates.  If I happen to notice that a student is not actively participating and engaging with others, privately, I may address the student to discuss any hinderances that may be affecting the student’s performance in the ECourse. Through collaboration tools, facilitators and students can stay connected, so that students continue to develop social learning as they progress into their professions.

Hello, Monique.

You mentioned academic debates as a method of infusing collaboration into the learning experience. This is a wonderful idea, because it requires that all learners involved in the debate have done some preparation to have a basic understanding of the topic. Then, learners gain new perspectives from all who are participating.

What other examples of ideas for collaboration can you bring to this conversation?

Keisha Austin
    Participant

I agree with the gamification idea.. I also like the video chats, being able to ask-open ended questions.. I”m pretty good with those because it helps me to broaden my mind. I love social media & texting so being online is a great way to collaborate with everyone. I love games that have to do with puzzles and language arts.. So i would set up a video chat and share via group video.. I hope i explained this good enough..

Yes, Keisha. You explained yourself very well.
      You enjoy using technology to the best of your ability to collaboratively learn with others. You enjoy social media, and enjoy using it as a learning tool.
      It seems that you are taking the approach of “let’s play” in your education. That sense of play allows you to be very explorative, and is a wonderful tool for learning.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.